Thursday, October 18, 2007

What a day?

Not sure where to begin with today, so I will just start from the beginning. The morning started out and is ending with a tornado warning. The morning did see a strong storm pass through, luckily the evening has not been too bad thus far.

After a few hours of work this morning/afternoon, it was off to an experience of a lifetime. Indiana University inaugurated its 18th President this afternoon with a formal event in the auditorium. It was a wonderful experience and I am definitely glad that I stayed around to witness the historical event.

After the event, it was back to the apartment to finish packing in preparation to head to Kentucky, and completion of a paper that was due Friday night at midnight. The paper is complete and turned in. Woohoo. Hopefully, I got everything packed into the car because if not it is too late now.

The real fun started on departure. I got into the car turned on the lights and began to drive away when I realized that I had no headlights. I got out of the car to assess the situation. Sure enough both front lights were out. I talked to my father and he figures they must have both gone out. It is very possible that I did not realize one had been out for awhile, because well I don't know the last time that I turned them on. The high beams worked and my father said that I could continue on my journey using the high beams. He warned me that people would not be happy, and I understood that. But what I did not realize is in their unhappiness they would be idiots.

Car after car flashed their lights at me and I really could do nothing about it. When I hit the interstate, I found unhappy people who were seemingly willing to risk having an accident to shout at me. Semi drivers must have definitely been talking and there was tons of them out on the road tonight. What bothered me is that after I passed, they would whip in behind me and flash their lights. One guy whipped in behind me and then almost ran me off the freakin road trying to make his point. There clearly was not space for someone to walk between his bumper and my bumper. On top of that I was about on the bumper of the car in front of me.

Since there were more vehicles around on the interstate and more lighting, I would turn off my brights momentarily to show them that I had no low beam lights. To some, I think they understood but too others, they continued to be jerks. I am just thankful that I finally made it safely to Kentucky and don't have to deal with the crazy semi-drivers anymore. No wander there are so many semi wrecks. They like to run people off the road if they are not abiding by their rules.

I actually had very little trouble, when I got into Kentucky, though I was on the road a lot less and with fewer cars to harass me.

Tomorrow, I will get new headlamps, new tires and wheels, an alignment, and who knows what else at this rate. My car seems to be slowly falling apart. Not really falling apart, they are all just normal wear and tear items.

Time to read a book for class or maybe just fall asleep until my friends get home.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, quite an adventure. Didn't think that many ppl, especially truckers, would be so idiotic and persistant about something like that. All they have to do is pass you up and move on...

BeNotAfraid said...

Or stay behind me and not worry about it. I totally agree with you though. I also think it was some sort of gang mentality as they must have all been talking.

Another story to add was after a semi had pulled behind me and flashed his lights at me several times. One of those trucks that follow the oversize loads whipped in front of me and shined his bright white lights on the top of his car back on me. I turned my lights off and back on. He pulled back over and then decided to pull back in front of me and do it again. I finally passed him and went on with life.