Wow...this has turned out to be one crazy but fun semester. I will attempt to touch on some highlights of the last multitude of weeks, without boring you too much.
In five weeks, I have made 4 trips to Kentucky, 1 to Indy/Cleveland/Chicago/Indy, and 2 to Indianapolis. This is the first weekend in the last five weeks that I will not be leaving town, though on Wednesday I will depart for Western Kentucky for Thanksgiving.
Kentucky
* UK vs LSU Football game and Georgetown's Homecoming - Both of which turned out to be wonderful opportunities and experiences. I will post a picture or two of the game in another post.
* A couple from YAACK and two friends of mine got married on Oct 20 at Christ the King. It turned out to be a beautiful weekend for a fall wedding, and I was honored to be apart of the wedding as a reader. I am just thankful that I still had a voice on Saturday and was not too sick with a cold at that point in time. God was watching over everything.
* Halloween night provided a quick trip to KY for the Georgetown College vs University of Louisville basketball game. Thanks to a friend of mine who invited me to join her and her husband for the game. I was proudly wearing my orange and black in support of the Tigers. The game did not prove to be as exciting as the previous years but it was still nice to watch the Alma Mater and attend my first game in Freedom Hall.
* Last trip was to celebrate my friend Chris's 30th Birthday party. I had to make sure he rang his 30th birthday in right :-)
Cleveland (Indianapolis/Chicago)
* Between the wedding weekend and the birthday weekend, I attended a conference in Cleveland, Ohio. Travels took me to Indy with a return flight through Chicago. The conference was very small and different from other conferences that I have attended in the past. It was the History of Education Society and programs are base more on paper submissions with panel discussions.
The purpose of attending the conference was to present a paper on faculty governance. My previous supervisor, our spring practicum student, and I put together a paper on faculty governance at IU, which we then presented on a panel with two other papers on the history of faculty governance. The panel presentation went very well, except for unlike the wedding, the cold was a bit worse and affecting my voice. We received some good feedback from the panel discussant and others in the audience. I will update you more in the future on how things progress towards potential publishing of some of our work in the future. There are no guarantees at this time, but we are looking to publish a journal article somewhere.
Indianapolis
* Both trips were for the same reason, but instead of staying in Indy, I went with others back and forth last weekend for another conference. This conference was specifically for graduate students in higher education student affairs programs in the midwest. IU and our student personnel association was the host of the conference this year. A friend of mine was the chair of the conference and did a fantastic job of putting together a nice conference. On Sunday of the conference, I presented a program on leadership, which went fairly well though could have been better. It was definitely a learning opportunity and the start of what will hopefully be further program presentations on leadership.
This Weekend
* IU vs Purdue Football Game - Tomorrow, I will attend my first Big Ten and IU football game and tailgate. I did attend one other tailgate at the beginning of the semester but this will be my first full blown experience of Big Ten football. I am looking forward to it, as long as I get a few hours of sleep tonight.
Well there are some of the highlights from the past 5 weeks. I will try to post a few more stories soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment