Monday, April 21, 2008

Update: 4.0 Earthquake Monday Morning

Update: This mornings earthquake has been downgraded to a 4.0. For more information, check out USGS.

Were you jolted out of bed around 1:40 am this morning or maybe slightly aroused unsure of what was happening? Well you might have just experienced another aftershock from Friday's earthquake. A 4.5 earthquake occurred at 1:38 EST. I was in the same location as the 4.6 on Friday morning, but this was was definitely not as strong or as long. The window shook, there was a slight movement of the chair, but that was about it.

I looked at my friend SF in disbelief.
She asked "what was that, an earthquake".
I said "I believe so. It sounded just like the other day and it definitely wasn't wind blowing through the window because the sliding door is open."
After vigilant monitoring of the USGS site, I finally saw a large red box pop up on the map and confirmed that we did definitely experience an earthquake/aftershock.
My friend was quite excited as she missed the previous two as she was in Washington state, where earthquakes are much more frequent.

If you have not paid attention to the seismic actions of the area, here is a quick update as of current reports on the USGS site:
Friday, 4/18/2008 (Date and Times in UTC: I will try to modify later.)
5.2 Initial Earthquake at 9:37 (5:37 am EST)
Followed by 10 aftershocks ranging from 1.2 to a 3.4 between 9:59 and 11:55
4.6 Second Earthquake/Aftershock felt at 15:14 (11:14 am EST)

Saturday, 4/19/2008
Followed by 4 aftershocks ranging from 1.3 to 2.8 between 3:05 and 16:55
1.7 Earthquake was registered 23 miles South of Sikeston, MO at 23:19

Sunday, 4/20/2008
2 aftershocks - 2.8 at 5:02 and 2.3 at 10:34

Monday, 4/21/2008
4.5 Third Earthquake/Aftershock felt at 5:38 (1:38 am EST)

No comments: