Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ryder Cup in Kentucky

The past several days Kentucky has hosted the Ryder Cup. I have never been a real huge golf fan for many reasons. I don't know a lot about golf: the rules, skills, philosophy, etc. It has always seemed like a very boring sport to watch on tv. My uncles constantly watched it when I was a child, but I never fully understood it or got into it. There are other sports that attract my attention and keep me interested on tv over golf.

All that said my tv was on the Ryder Cup the majority of Saturday. Why, I kept asking myself. I believe there are a couple key reasons for watching the Ryder Cup. It is exciting to have such a big event in your home state. I was also curious how things were going after the devastation of Ike. There are still thousands of people in the Louisville area without power. The Ryder Cup appeared to go off without a hitch which is good since it was an international event. Another reason is there were two Kentuckians on the USA Ryder Cup team. I feel like I have grown up hearing about Kenny Perry and was interested to see how he was fairing. Though I watched, it was not an intense, continuous watching. I put the tv on mute several times and caught glimpses of what was going on throughout the day. It was definitely not something that peaked me interest continuously as I totally forgot that it was on again today until I was reading the news headlines and Facebook statuses.

Congrats to the US Ryder Cup Team for bringing the Ryder Cup back to the US for the first time since 1999! Congrats to the two Kentuckians for showing the world what Kentucky has to offer!

No comments: