What can I say? Life has been busy and I have failed to post much in the last several months. I can always say I will try better but I believe we all know now that is probably not going to happen.
So what can I say? I am definitely starting to understand why and how many of my friends are bad at communicating in any means. Schedules and life starts to overwhelm us and it does come to a point that trying to communicate with others becomes difficult.
Things that cross my mind or conflict when I want to call someone:
- Are they still at work? This can actually work in both directions though mostly if people are at work, they most likely will not answer their phone. There are a few people who I call at work.
- Are they in the middle of dinner or lunch (Sat and Sun)? People eat at all times of the day and night now days. As a child, there was a set time you did not call because people would be in the middle of dinner but now that could be about anytime from 4 pm - 9 pm.
- What time is too late to call? My general rule of thumb here is no calls after 10 pm. If they have children, no calls after 9 pm.
- Do people actually like talking on the phone anymore? Or is it a bother?
- Am I inconveniencing them calling? Should I just send an email, but thats so impersonal and not a good two way conversation?
- Does the person actually even care to speak with me? Are they just being polite or do they genuinely want to talk?
- If they never call back, do you call again? Or do you figure they don't want to talk to you?
These last questions seem to get to another contemplation of who are your friends, acquaintances, and just general people you know. How do you know that what once was a friendship is now just a mere acquaintance? How long of no communication is too long to reconnect with someone? Is the communication lacking because of the person's inability to communicate well with anyone or do they truly not want to maintain that open communication?
Those are my contemplative questions this evening. They may make sense and they may not. It is very hard to tell as sleep deprivation has set in and there is still at least another hour and half to go before my head can hit the pillow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment