Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Computer Woes....

About 3 weeks ago things started to go downhill with the computer. It all started with a really bad thunderstorm. Lightning either hit the building I live in or hit very close to it.

Personally, my computer's network card was blown. Additionally, I am fairly positive that the strike turned the computer on as the green and orange light was on though the screen was totally black. I had to hard reboot the machine. The computer came back up seemingly with no problems except for the network card.

The building had issues with the card entry system and the fire panel. The office computer's motherboard was fried and a student's laptop power supply was zapped. Those are the issues I heard about prior to leaving two days later.

Upon departure for two week vacation, I unplugged all of my large items like tv and computer.

Upon return, I plugged the surge protector back into the wall. It immediately sent an electric current through the surge protector to the computer, which made a large popping noise. After that, there was no longer power being received by the computer. The monitor, printer, and phone were all still working.

Thankfully it appears that the only thing that was blown was the power supply and of course the network card still does not work. I borrowed a power supply from IT to checkout the status of the computer.

QUESTION: Any suggestions on where or brand of power supply to purchase? Is there anything in particular that I should look for in a power supply? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Computer woes also included having absolutely no network access when I returned from vacation. My computer of course was busted but the laptop did not work either. IT made updates to the network last week and the building did not take kindly to those changes. Thankfully, they finally fixed the network issues yesterday so I can access the network through my laptop.

No comments: