Today's adventure to the BMV was a bust. I went to register my car at the local BMV to find out that I had to have a document verifying my right to have the college's specialty plate. It really does not make sense to me, especially since I already have an FC plate on my car. Why would it not be okay for me to have such a plate again? I can see the reason for an initial document stating that it is okay for me to have an FC plate. This would keep anyone from going to the BMV and getting a college's specialty plate, but why to renew it.
You may be asking what happens in other states. I know for a fact and through experience that in KY you do not need any type of documentation in order to get a private college's specialty plate. Now depending on the county you live in you might need to pre-order the initial plate because they do not have a stock of them in all departments. But to renew you go in as you would for a regular plate and pay the slight extra fee that goes in part to the institution.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Update....
Indiana BMV does not process the donation component of specialty plates at least those of independent colleges. Therefore to obtain an independent plate you have to go through the institution to pay the donation component of the plate. When the donation is paid to the institution, then they provide you a piece of paper that says you can have the specialty plate.
In KY, the DMV handles all of this so you don't have to go to the institution to pay the donation in order to get the plate.
Post a Comment