Sunday, October 03, 2010

"10 Surprising Things About Me"

My friend tagged me in her "10 Surprising Things about Me" so here goes nothing.

1. Did someone say dance? Yes though my abilities are not evident, I took dance classes for 10 years starting at the age of 3 through 7th grade. Classes included 10 years of tap and ballet, 1 year of ballet toe, and a couple years of jazz.

2. On the same subject, I also spent most childhood summers in summer acrobatics and trampoline classes. I even helped teach classes in my latter years. You might can get me to attempt a cartwheel or a wall stand, but that is about all.

3. Skiing, no...not snow skiing, but water skiing. Summers were spent out on Lake Barkley in Kentucky, water skiing, slalom skiing, knee boarding, and ski bobbing. (Ski bobs were not quite as nice 15 years ago, but there is an example of one.) Sadly the last time I was at the lake was just over 10 years ago in August 2000. By the way, I have never been snow skiing.

4. A 'C' for Conduct...yes a 'C' does appear on my first grade report card. Apparently, I was a talker in first grade. I wouldn't believe it myself if it wasn't written on the report card because I was a very shy, quiet, introverted child.

5. Perfect Attendance for all four years in high school and only need two hands to count all days absent from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Absences include: Kindergarten -- 5 days for chickenpox, 1 day sent home after getting ill during the morning Pledge of Allegiance; 4th Grade -- 2 days for the flu; 6th Grade - Sent home one day with 103 degree fever in tears not wanting to miss school; 8th Grade - Grandmother's funeral. I loved school and did not want to miss a day.

6. 10K...No not 10 carat gold, but a 10K race. I competed in and completed the Bowling Green 10K Classic in Fall 1992 as a 9th grader. At the time, I had never ran 6.2 miles in one setting and was thrilled to finish the race in less than 1 hour and defeat a fellow St Mary's cross-country runner. Goal is to not only run a 10K again but to complete a half-marathon.

7. Not once but twice won awards for artistic/creative designs. The jest of the two winnings are: Non-Smoking poster contest in 3rd grade and Air Products Safety Calendar contest, not sure age.

8. Enjoy writing my own unique style of poetry or at least my version of poetry.

9. Depending on how long you have known me it may surprise you to know that my hair is naturally curly now or that it use to be so straight that even after an attempted perm my hair was straight as a child. (Look for a new post discussing this more soon.)

10. Have pictures of myself inside a tree in three different countries: Australia, Ghana, and the United States of America.

Wow...I hope you learned some new and surprising things about me. Thanks kasclar for helping me think of unique/surprising things about myself.

Now I would love to learn something surprising about you so tag it is your turn.
Chris at Digital Wilderness
Ashlee at Clay Woman

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

I'm working on replying... ick!

Chris said...

I'll put it on my list... Just a little busy right now ;-)

Kerri said...

Acrobatics and trampoline?!?! Wow, did NOT know that. :)

Great post! Fun to read about all those surprising things!!

BeNotAfraid said...

Ashlee...it is really not as bad as you think.

Chris...not understanding the busy. No excuse for slacking on the blogging :-) j/k

Kasclar...Wow is one word for it. Glad you enjoyed.