Sunday, October 10, 2004

Survival

Wow that seems what the past month has been all about, Survival. Sleep is very lacking in my life right now. I did crash this evening around 6:30 and was awakened by a dear friend at 8. I really did not mind the awakening though it did bring me back to reality and the mess my apartment is in.

A brief synopsis of my life in the last 3 weeks.
Sunday Sept 19 was one of the longest days of my life in a long long time. I was awake though barely at times and at work for 22.5 hours. I know this seems insane and you all probably think that's just crazy. Though I do agree, I will have to say it was nothing like the 26 hrs and the atmosphere at my last job. On Monday, Sept 20, after going to bed at 5 am in Louisville (Thanks to my dear friends), I awoke 4 short but hard sleeping hours later to go back into work. I totally crashed in the late afternoon, though not after making it back home safely. The rest of the week was a very long week with the total lack of sleep.

The next weekend, I went and helped with kids games at Oktoberfest with my church in Lex. That was a lot of fun and someone mentioned to me that all these kids would keep any young person without kids from wanting them. Maybe I am strange but all the little kids were so cute and just made me more aware of how much I really want kids of my own. I continue to wait patiently for God's calling in that aspect of my life. Saturday, was then a fun filled day at KY Kingdom with Ashlee and so many others. Though that did not happen until after I spent several hrs on the phone with work. The reason for going to KY Kingdom was because of a work Family Day Picnic. It was great to have a family picnic sponsored by my work. I really don't understand companies, especially large companies that do not do things like that. (Maybe that will be another story one day) It was a great time and the food was very filling. Sunday became a day of rest and relaxation for part. I set down and watched TV for the first time in ages. I had taped Friday night TV and watched it. Then I spent the evening planning for the upcoming YAACK Retreat, with the other individual helping me.

The week was a very busy week getting many things down at work for the upcoming release, retreat planning, and ODK Newsletter completion. It was a successful week though a bit crazy. Those who know me, know that if I am not busy with some sort of organization or group then I am out of my element. I enjoy the church and ODK things, I just wish that work wouldn't always take away from the time to do those things.

Then we come to the crazy of all crazy weekends. I knew going in that it was going to be a long weekend, though I had hoped by Sat night, things would be done and I would be at home. Unfortunately that was not the case, though I did get to Lexington on Sunday for the last Autocross pts event of the year. (Another story)

The original release for the weekend was postponed but since we had new hardware, plan B which we were not aware of came to be. It was to swap out the current hardware with the new hardware. This required two stages from the DBA staff. First stage was to take all of the databases down and hand over to networking to get the new hardware up and the files copied. Because of the process and unknowing of when we would have to go back into work, they put the other dba and myself up in the nearby hotel. It was nice not to have to worry about driving far or bothering anyone. Luckily though maybe not so luckily, we got to sleep from about 12:30 am Sat morning til about 8 am. Though it was not a solid sleep since I kept waiting for my phone to ring and afraid that I had missed it. Saturday was a very long day again, working from about 8:30 am til 1 am Sunday. I did get one more night of sleep in the hotel and awoke early Sunday morning to drive to Lexington for the last pts autocross event. It was great though very tiring.

As I spoke a couple posts ago about OE, thus far OE has not been an issue and the week was rather quite minus Wed when I was by myself, nothing seemed to work right. The week was busy though calm. Another post to come is dinner Thursday night. I was busy every night either preparing for retreat or doing some other organizational thing.

Then this weekend, I took Friday off though it was not much of a day off. I got up early and packed my car with all that I had thus far for the retreat. Met some friends for lunch before doing the final grocery shopping and heading off to Lebanon, KY for the retreat. It was an awesome weekend and I will tell more later. Though again it was a weekend with very little sleep, but it was totally worth it. I am relieved that it is all over now though that just means time to plan the next big or little event.

So that has been my life the past 3 weeks and why you have not seen or heard from me in ages. Not sure how much my life is going to slow down the next few weeks but we will see. I do know my living room has no walking space because of everything piled up from retreat and other things that just haven't been put away. So that I guess is the next big project.

Take care and God Bless

No comments: