UPDATE: The first quake was 5.2. It was downgraded from the initial 5.4, but the largest aftershock registered a 4.6 not a 4.5 as initially noted.
Shortly after 5:37 am EST this morning, I was awakened by the sound of metal rattling by the window. My first instinct was its an earthquake. My second instinct should have been to find cover or at least not head towards the window. But yes, I went in search to feel out and confirm what was making all the racket. I found the jewelry box shaking and the metal handles banging on the side. As i quietened them, the closet doors began to rattle briefly before subsiding. Still sure that it was an earthquake, but not worrying too much else about it, I decided since I was up. I would make a restroom stop and then climbed right back into bed. I didn't necessarily sleep soundly the rest of the evening as I really wanted to confirm that my instinct was right and also curious where the epicenter was at and who else felt it.
Okay as I was in the middle of typing this post (11:16 am EST), when I began to feel another aftershock or earthquake not sure which or what the difference is. All I know is that my chair and desk was shaking. My window was rattling and my heart was racing. Again, I did nothing but sit in shock this time trying to synthesize what I was feeling. I really was not and am still somewhat in disbelief that I was feeling it again.
Yes, this second one was another earthquake registering 4.5 according to the USGS at this point in time.
USGS has reported 5 earthquakes around 2.5 since the initial 5.2 earthquake and now the 4.5 earthquake. Check out their website for more information. It is quite interesting to follow.
Did you feel either of the two larger earthquakes or any of the smaller ones? What was your first reaction? Have you ever experienced an earthquake before? Also curious who had earthquake drills as a child because this could explain your reaction?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yep, definitely felt the first, I'm amazed at how pronounced it was. Didn't feel the second at all. My first reaction, as I posted on my blog, is what's wrong with me, why's my body shaking?!? A few seconds later, it did finally dawn on me, so I sat up in bed. I was too tired to do anything, so after it stopped, I just laid back down and went back to sleep. I did have drills in school, but I didn't even thing of that until you posed the question...
Post a Comment