Sunday, August 03, 2014

Amazing Works of the Lord



Our lives are one ever lasting journey through the world on earth to eternity in heaven. The journey is full of ups and downs, struggles and joys, happiness and sadness, friends and foes, sickness and health, and so much more. As I stop to again journal my health journey, I reflect on some of these recent journeys and their impacts.

On June 30/July 1, I participated in a sleep study as not being able to sleep through the night and being tired during the day was really wearing on me. The results of the study showed that I had slight to moderate sleep apnea. One of the biggest things the doctor said would help would be losing 30 lbs and also getting a sleep machine at least for a small period of time. It may not be something necessary forever. I still question a lot of that as I have had trouble sleeping for years even close to 50 lbs lighter. Since I am traveling a lot in the coming month, we are waiting for the machine until after my travels.

On July 14, I visited the family physician for a checkup and follow-up from my April appointment. Then he confirmed that I had mono at the beginning of this year/potentially the end of last year. This makes so much more sense of why I was so overly exhausted, unmotivated, and in ways paralyzed the first half of the year. Apparently by April when I saw the doctor, I was actually on the upswing and recovering from the mono. Not only had I just recently had mono. Apparently, I have also had mono at some point in time earlier. This is the first awareness of ever having mono.

Leading into these realizations, I had already begun to seek direction to get in shape because if not, I would not survive my upcoming trips to Guatemala and Europe. My mom and the other 50/60 year old ladies were going to be getting around Europe better than I. Therefore, I was slowly working on changing my mindset and trying to motivate myself to get in shape.

The question is how to get exercise. The heel spur on my foot and the heat was not going to motivate me to go running. I really despise gyms for cardio exercises. What I really enjoy is hiking, but it is not the smartest option by oneself. Then came 4th of July weekend, it was a cool 4th of July weekend and beautiful weather for hiking. Had it not been for needing to pack, I probably would have gone out earlier in the weekend, but I had a goal of packing for Guatemala so I could go to Lexington the following weekend. On Friday, I told myself if I get everything done I would go hiking on Sunday afternoon after church though still contemplating the whole fact of doing it alone. By Sunday, this was no longer an issue.

God works in funny ways. He first blessed me with friends to hang out with on the 4th of July and enjoy fireworks and bonfire reminding me of 4th of July 15 years ago in Australia. But when I came home late that night/early the next morning, I, as so many do, got on Facebook to see the latest posts from friends and family. One of the posts referred to a marathon hike but not any marathon hike. The title included “YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK!” and lots of encouraging words from TS, the event organizer. Really wanting to do more hiking, needing motivation, and folks to safely hike with, I said why not commit myself to the hike. By the way, there are intervals to the hike so one does not have to complete the whole 26+ miles to participate. If I can finish half+, I will feel accomplished.

In joining the event, TS continued his encouragement and invited folks to start out with a slower, more casual hike with the Louisville Hiking Meetup group on Sunday afternoon. I had looked at the group in the past but was unsure of joining. I did not want to slow down the group and was unsure of how folks would respond to someone slowing them down. Some of the language on the site was fairly strict about making sure you attend hikes that you are prepared. In knowing that TS was going to be there and his encouragement/willingness to help folks, I decided to take the plunge and instead of hiking by myself join in with the group. Wow, I am out of shape even for a slow slightly strenuous hike. I have hiked the Lake trail at Jefferson Memorial forest half a dozen times and never felt so out of shape, but it got me out there. I met knew people and went out again on Monday. There were two groups meeting that night. TS encouraged me to join with the 2nd group as the first group definitely was out of my league. I had planned to just hike what I could while the fast group was out doing their thing. At least that way, I was not totally alone in the forest, but I decided to check out the other group.

The Monday night Slow Pace JMF 4.5 mile hike group has been great. That first night, my legs were still tense from the day before, and I was struggling big times on the hills. Shamefully, I did give in and let CH carry my backpack. The backpack, I have always worn hiking with a lot more in it that I had that first night. The group was very encouraging, checked back, and waited on me. We actually ended up cutting it short this first night for multiple reasons, which was perfectly fine with me because I was exhausted. I have participated 2 other times since then and do see some improvements. This past Monday was a lot cooler so it was a bit difficult to really notice the progress, but part of the progress also comes from carrying almost 10 lbs less.

This weekend was an official training hike for the marathon hike on September 27, 2014. There were multiple legs to the day. I chose to meet at Scotts Gap, where TS again encouragingly was willing to stick out and help anyone who needed to hike a bit slower with support and encouragement. The trail starts right out with a nice long hill that I started out way too fast and was quickly out of breath. Hills are killers, up takes my breath away and steep down kills my right knee. I am a pure mess. But TS came up along behind me and stayed with me to the end of the trail before heading off to catch up with the rest of the group. Without that motivation, I would still be stuck on that trail. It was full of ups and downs and hard to gain much speed to make up for the slower up hills. We did accomplish it (around 3.3 miles) in about 1.5 hrs give or take, neither great nor bad.

When the invite came out for Saturday, I decided to hike Scotts Gap depending on that trail either hike it again (no way) or hike the Mitchell Hill Lake trail. There was enough time to do another about 3 mile hike while they hiked the final 6.7 miles back to the Welcome Center. There was no way that I was doing Scotts Gap again and really wasn’t sure about the Lake trail. But after a peanut butter & jelly, PowerAde, and some rest, I felt that I could at least do the trail from the Welcome Center to the Lake trail and back. That is about 2.2 miles with the Lake trail another mile around with a nice hill in the back half going counter-clockwise. So I drove to the Welcome Center and took off. I ended up doing the full 3.2 miles around the lake and back to the Welcome Center. I returned just in time to meet up with everyone else from the longer hike. I was beaten, worn out, and didn’t really have the energy to stand more less stretch. I did try to stretch some knowing that if not, I would regret it the next day. Then a few of us headed to Penn Station for some lunch/dinner. Overall, it was a good day and I felt accomplished having hiked about 6.5 miles again. Amazingly, today I am not too sore or tired, and my new shoes did alright. My 10+ year old boots started falling apart on Monday night :(. Thankfully, I had already checked out shoes and bought some low top hiking boots before my trip to Guatemala.

That was a summary of my recent workouts and hiking, but as I started this, God works in amazing ways. As I may still be sitting contemplating getting out and hiking and trying to lose weight had God not connected TS and I through autocross at the beginning of the year. Not only does TS autocross, he is my main competition and really forcing me to work on improving my autocross skills, and now his motivation and skills are helping me get back in shape and do one of my favorite things, hike and be in nature.

It has been just shy of a year since you heard from me last and let’s just say life has been full of craziness and business as you can tell from this post. I do look forward to sharing more about some of the exciting things that have happened, but for now, I hope you will once again walk with me. I look to hopefully not only get in better shape, lose weight, but find a lifestyle change that will not fall apart when other life factors happen and work hard to derail on the efforts previously put in place. Hoping some new accountability and encouragement from new and old friends will help me carry forward.

Thanks for anyone who is still out here patiently waiting for new updates!

Here is a synopsis of the first 3 weeks. Tomorrow ends the 4th week since I started tracking my weight and hiking again.

La Semana Tres:  Monday, July 28, 2014 -- 217.4
La Semana Cero: Monday, July 7, 2014 -- 226.8
Most likely the heaviest ever
36.4 lbs from Dec 2012
46.8 lbs from Aug 2009

---------Previous Health Ups & Downs---------
Sunday, September 1, 2013 -- 209.6
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 -- 206.8
Monday, December 3, 2012 -- 190.4
Monday, April 23, 2012 -- 211.4
Monday, August 10, 2009 -- 180

No comments: