While the University of Kentucky Wildcats football team was out playing football, the Central Kentucky Division of SCCA was having its on game of sorts at Commonwealth Stadium. 91 drivers participated in this holiday weekend event, which was on a shortened course per normal for the UK site. Unfortunately, students did not read or were not made aware early enough about needing to clean out the lot. So we only used half of the normal full size parking lot.
Though the course was short, it definitely did not slow down the speed much, making it an extremely fast course. FTD (Fastest Time of the Day) was set by LB at 24.9 in a Modified Miata. I heard a few people say they were going close to 60 at the finish, which is extremely fast for one of these events. I say usually the fastest spot in a course the max speed is about 40 mph.
The course started with a couple lane changes into a sweeping curve, followed by a tight u-turn into another curve that probably was sweeping but I never got out of the u-turn smooth enough, into a very fast finish.
Though I was not overly pleased with my time and overall positioning, some of the more experienced individuals in the club said that I did will considering my car and the street tires.
For the most part, I did steadily improve the entire day with a couple lapses the worst coming on the last run. I lost my focus and blew it. I should have been able to break 30 but instead I slowed down on the last run.
Times in order of runs:
32.133
32.113
31.202
31.340
30.738
30.916
My main competition was down to 1 for this event. (Please pray for BR's father who is not doing very well. And that she will be able to make it to the next event.)
GR finished her last run in 28.943 with her previous fastest being 30.419. I was on her tale all day just not quite fast enough. Though it is exciting, I am becoming a bit more competitive with at least one of the ladies in my class. Makes me feel like a have a chance.
G-Stock class beat my tale as well. Congrats to RR for winning G-Stock not only in this event but for the season. Go MINI! His winning time was 27.46 with a PAX of 11th out of 91. The slowest in G-Stock was 30.557 just squeaking past my best time of the day. CS in the Honda Accord Coupe finished with a time of 29.194.
Scary thing is yesterday after I finished, RR said that if wanted to check out tires to let him know and he would help me out. (By the way RR is taken and has children my age. So dont get any ideas. I know what some of you all were thinking out there.) The true scary part of that conversation is what was going through my head about how nice it would be to get some race tires. I AM HOOKED :-) Maybe that will be my present to myself next year. We will have to see how much it would cost me.
List of things I would need:
Tires
Rims
Jack
All the tools for getting the tires off easily. (I know there are several things needed there)
Jack Stands
And of course a garage to store all of these supplies.
So it would be a bit of an expensive adventure.
THANKS to Ashlee who came out to cheer me on for the first couple of runs. I think she had a lot of fun though I couldn't get her into the car for a ride, maybe next time :-)
Monday, September 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment