Saturday, September 18, 2004

What Happens when the lights change the road directions??

Tuesday afternoon, I was headed to a doctor's apt off of Nicholasville Rd. For those of you familiar with Lexington, you understand that Nicholasville Rd has different traffic patterns depending on the time of day and probably a few other things like UK Football games.

So it was Tuesday afternoon around 4 pm when I got onto Nicholasville Rd. I realized that the traffic was not setup for afternoon rush hour. There was still too many lanes heading in town and not enough for heading out of town. I wandered to myself how do they change the lanes and when they do what happens. Well it did not take long until I found out what happened.

The first thing that happens and is the green arrows and red X's change around. Then once, the traffic at the stop light is let through the lights change around. So that's the traffic lights but what happens to the people. Evidently, only a few people pay attention to all the Arrows and X's and the stoplights. When I had pulled up towards the lights, I had realized that the X's and Arrows had changed so I stayed in what I assumed was going to be the new turn lane. Though I was really debating on what really was going to happen because the light to the left was still on. But as I sat there the light on the left went out so I knew that I was in the correct spot. All at the same time, people trying to go straight piled up behind me and people trying to turn decided to get in the lane to the left of me, which was for through traffic now. Everything worked itself out in the end but I really don't know how more accidents don't occur during this lane switch. Mostly because so many people are not paying that much attention to what is going on around them while they are driving. They are too wrapped up in other things or just going with the flow.

So always be aware of what is happening with all the lights around you. You never know what might happen.

No comments: