Monday, August 29, 2005

USNO Master Clock

I have added a new addition to the sidebar, though it seems to be acting a bit flaky at the moment. Today, as I randomly do on occassions, I went out to the USNO Naval Observatory Website to check the time. As I was looking around on the site, I came across the image source to the right, which they allow for you to put onto your website. Since my website doesn't have a lot of fun and unique things on it, I thought I would try it out.

Not sure why its says EDT when I have it coded to show EST, but currently the time seems to be right. It shows the time and rolls for 5 secs which you can also code into it. They prefer that you keep it below 10 because they are not sure what the impact would be on their servers with a lot of load. You hit refresh on the browser and it loads and clicks off again.

I also found the following statement on the website to be quite interesting.
" A note about browsers...
The running GIF clock was developed for browsers that support
Content-type: multipart/x-mixed-replace
Netscape and Mozilla do this correctly. Internet Explorer does not."

Out with IE and in with Firefox.

No comments: