To pull off this party, I had to arrive at my aunts early to prepare all of the food. So Thursday around 5 pm, I departed Louisville, grabbing a few last decorations, and driving to Paducah. I arrived at my aunts around 7:30 pm CST and proceeded to go hide my car in my aunts friends garage until Saturday. While we were out, we headed over to another aunts to pick up votive candles and a big bowl for fruit. The rest of the night was spent playing cards with my mom's two sisters and a cousin. We stayed up until 1 or 2 in the morning. I am too old for this thats for sure.
Friday morning we arose by 9 to start preparing food. While I was in the shower, one of only 2 aunts that I had not seen yet came over with the youngest granddaughter. She was out delivering tables to the family from a yard sale. She had just left my mothers, probably a good thing she made that stop before seeing me.
After she left, it was time to start preparing food. I cut several big blocks of cheese until my right pointer finger was numb. I just didn't realize how much damage that I was doing to my finger. I then proceed to cut carrots, which my cousin was afraid I was going to cut my fingers off how I was doing it. I think it was actually safer than the other way because laying the carrots flat meant they could roll, but oh well. I did not cut my fingers or hand during the process so all is good. My aunt was making all the different vegetable and fruit dips. I then took over and worked on a dip or two myself while she did some chopping.
The next secret mission was to get a hair cut. Thanks to my friend RP, I actually had a good cover story for getting my hair cut. I was in a hair salon on Wednesday with RP to get her hair cut. But really I went home to my beautician and got a haircut. I will not spoil the surprise of how short it is just yet :-P We survived the trip to the beautician, who knew that it was all a surprise.
::::Side Story:::: So when I got home on Saturday, I asked my father if he noticed anything different. After mumbling and having no clue what I was talking about, he decided that my hair was LONGER. He just saw me in May. I informed him that it was not longer but shorter.
It was then back to the house to finish preparing food about all we had left was cutting veggies, making ham sandwiches, and preparing the croissants to be made up on Saturday morning. Saturday night, we enjoyed my favorite Chinese in town and played cards again until 1 or 2 in the morning.
Saturday, my aunt woke me at 7:30 am to get moving. We went and packed the beverages into the car and headed over to the KC Hall. Snag number two....we originally had the KC Hall from 8 am until 1 am, but they needed it for a funeral meal Saturday morning. This meant we were not able to get in until about 2 pm to start decorating and preparing the food trays and such. I therefore could not be at the KC Hall to decorate because I had to get home sometime on Saturday before my mother killed me for not coming in and staying too long. She already was not the most excited about the fact that I wasn't coming in until Saturday anyway.
We checked out the KC Hall and I gave my aunt ideas of what I think it should look like, though I was not overly worried with the people that were coming to help out. I knew they had good tastes and it would look just fine when it was all done.
Then it was back to my aunts to finish fixing up the sandwiches and making sure everything was together and ready to head to the KC Hall. Next secret mission was making sure mom thought I was leaving from Louisville. So about 10:30 am EST, I called to tell her that I was headed out and got a lot of grief for sleeping in and not moving too early. Though since it is normal for me not to move fast especially on a Saturday it was not a total shock, thankfully she was busy preparing for her ice cream and cake party to really worry about me the rest of the trip. I was prepared to tell her where I was on my journey if she did call though, but I didn't have to this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment