Wednesday, September 05, 2007

NEED ADVICE ABOUT CRUTCHES

Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from the Dr. Of course with all the new HIPAA guidelines, she couldn't leave anything on my voicemail. The office was closed upon receipt of the voicemail so this morning I called back. Late morning, the Dr returned my call to tell me that there was a spot that she was unsure about. It was lucent. Digitalization of the xray showed more question of concern and the xray tech in Ft Wayne suggested getting an MRI. Therefore tomorrow morning, I am headed to the Indiana MRI office to have an MRI on my right foot. Apparently, the concern is that there is a stress fracture in my foot and the location is apparently very troublesome to the doctor that she suggested even without insurance that I probably should go ahead and get the MRI. If something happens worse, it would not be good.

There is some continuous pain in the area though nothing as bad as last Friday. I will admit that I have taken the hard approach and not used the crutches until this afternoon when I got home. This still has been extremely difficult to get use to and I have not managed up the stairs yet on crutches. If anyone has good advice about navigating stairs with crutches, please let me know. I really cannot remember how I did it 10 years ago. The only rememberance I have about stairs and crutches is the day one of the crutches slid all the way back down once I reached the second floor of Pawling Hall. Thankfully some young man walked in shortly thereafter and brought the crutch up to me. Otherwise, I remember nothing. Plus any advice on how not to get blisters on your palms would be appreciated as well, since they seem to already be forming :-(

Yes, I realize that I am getting old and falling apart. You do not have to remind me of this KP, CV, or anyone else who wants to chime in :-P

MRI results will take a couple days to return so more to come later this week or first of next week.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm offended that you think I would make fun of you getting old and falling apart! I would do no such thing...at least in a case like this ;-)

Kwadwo A. Poku said...

Yes, Robin. How could you insinuate that Chris and I would do such a thing? What have we done to you to deserve such accusations?

WOw...sorry about what you are going through. I pray for God's healing on you. I've been on crutches before too...about 12 years ago. I don't know of any techniques to avoid blisters. As for the stairs...hmmm...I really don't know what to say. Can't you hold the crutches in one hand as you hold the rail of the stairs in the other hand, then hop up the stairs?

BeNotAfraid said...

Chris and Kwadwo....I apologize for insinuating such a thing. Just trying to add a bit of humor into the situation and owning up to the fact that I am getting old and fragile :-)

10 years ago, I could hop up the stairs a lot better than I can now. Let me tell you 60 lbs heavier and very weak arms is making this a lot harder than I remember from past experiences. 24 hours of actually attempting to use crutches and I no longer want to go anywhere. :-(

MRI tests were completed today it will be tomorrow or Monday before results are back :-( Guess I will just hobble around until then.

Thanks for the prayers. I need them.