Tuesday, May 01, 2012

His Way Is Best


“Many are the plans in a man’s heart but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”
            -- Proverbs 19:21

Many of us had a plan, dream for our lives from a very young age. I am definitely no different. Over the years, God has shown me that He is in control and He has a plan. The question is do I stop to listen and trust him or do I continue to try to interfere with His plan and not believe.

For the past several years, I have not fully stopped to listen to His calling in my life. The rush to get something done, to make someone happy, to not fill overburdened, to succeed and not fail, to make a difference, to please others, and more has consumed my life but to what failings in my own life. Therefore, the focus of the months ahead is to re-center my life around Christ. The joys of past come from the times spent with friends, students, and colleagues in dialogue, reflection, and service for Him, not from the endless hours of work, the pettiness, or trying to be successful. Our society puts so much focus on work, consistent availability, immediacy, and fails to see the destruction of everyday life, health, and relationships.

Relationships are very important in my life. Friends and family mean a lot to me, and I try to show my love and support through little things like cards, notes, and fellowship. Relationships are also one of the biggest struggles and burdens in my life or lack of them. Over the years, I have had many plans for my life mainly to find a wonderful loving man to share my life and a family. The question is not is a family in God’s plan but how do I stop and listen to God to have the peace about this direction.

With the desire for a family comes another burden and one that is hard for me to talk about, I think it is hard because it revolves around the having of children and is an odd topic for a single person to discuss. Over the years, I have followed friends who have struggled with pregnancy and am so inspired by their faith and perseverance. I seek to share my struggles with fertility that does not only affect my future ability to have children with a caring, supportive husband, but more importantly my overall health today.

A couple years ago, I was finally officially diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) though I have been dealing with it since college but ignoring the signs without anyone confirming that was the problem. In the past several years, additional research and knowledge about PCOS has come out which lead to the official diagnosis a couple years ago. Past hormone and thyroid tests were not clearly showing that I had PCOS but more recently they have realized the association of PCOS with high insulin levels, not glucose but more the insulin to glucose ratio.

“PCOS is a complex hormonal disorder most often characterized by elevated levels of insulin, LH, and androgen (“male hormones”), all of which contribute to the dysfunction of the ovaries.”  (Shannon 2009 p. 112) The high insulin and insulin resistance association with PCOS causes abdominal obesity, Type-2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes, and high cholesterol. PCOS also leads to hirsutism (a masculine pattern of body hair) and of course fertility related issues.

Therefore, you can see from the effects of PCOS that reading and learning more about fertility and nutrition can assist with not only fertility but also general health and future living.

Books reading…
“Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition” by Marilyn M Shannon (2009)
“The Fertility Diet” by Jorge E. Chavarro and Walter C. Willet (2008)

The first book’s chapter on PCOS led me to the second book. The books represent a balanced approach to dieting and healthier living. “The Fertility Diet” talks about the smooth and sustainable transition and the overall benefits not only to fertility but general healthier living. I have finished “The Fertility Diet” and am going back and reading some other chapters in the “Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition” book.

As mentioned, I have made a few modifications but nothing drastic. Still reading through the materials and thinking about a gentle but effective plan of attack. As I move forward, I will start sharing some of the changes and reasons because I found some of it fascinating and also somewhat common sense.

He has a plan for your life and mine. May we stop to listen and follow His direction.

Thanks for your support, faith, and sharing!

No comments: