Saturday, May 29, 2004

Tornadoes and Mayham

Wow, a bit less than 36 hours ago life was interesting and uncertain. A bit after 9 pm Thursday night, I got out of the shower to find that Scott Co and most of the surrounding area was under a sever thunderstorm warning as well as a Tornado Watch. A tornado had already been spotted and touched down in Henry Co and the worst seemed to be conversioning on Scott Co. So I gathered up a snack and some research materials and headed to the clubhouse of the apartment complex. The bottom half of the clubhouse is solidly under ground. Initially there was only one other couple and a friend of mine down there. But by 10 oclock when the worst of the storm was about to hit, I was surrounded by 20-30 of my neighbors with their animals and children. Though I am uncertain of what all damage happened in Scott Co, I do know that it did not seem to be overly bad when we finally left shelter and headed back to our individual apts. We were the lucky ones.

Just south of Georgetown and fairly close to the Scott Co/Fayette Co border, there was not as much luck. As I watched the news, it was amazing the focus on Scott Co and then all of a sudden North Lexington was hit and it was all over. The last report that I read confirmed an F2 tornado (actually they are saying F3 now) struck the backside of Masterson Station and then went over Sandersville Road towards Jaggie Fox. Then over Georgetown Rd into some new development off of Citation Blvd. Not sure that the tornado then continued over I-75 towards the waffle house and on that way or if it was just the massive straight line winds that laid trees over and apparently destroyed the Waffle House at i-75 and Newtown Pike.

I had yesterday off so I did not see the brunt of the damage over at my office but I did hear a bit about it. Apparently the roof was off of CarQuest and installation was everywhere. It will be interesting to see how some of the new development withstood the storm. Especially the bldg that is totally open because it is without windows at this pt. Our office apparently lost a couple windows and some of the windows are no longer straight on the building, which is definitely an interesting picture.

I did make it into Lexington early Friday morning for an interview. I actually was wandering if anything was really going to happen since there ar a lot of people who live in the Masterson Station area that work at this company. But everything went on smoothly and I liked the position and the vast majority of things to be learned. Back to the storm.

Driving down the interstate right prior to Newtown Pike you could start to see the damage. Trees that once were straight wer now at a 45 degree angle. Signs were all cockeyed (not sure on the sp) and you could definitely tell something went through there. At some places there was groups of trees and then one or two that were snapped at the base.

It is all so amazing to see and there are so many reasons why I am so fascinated with it all. To my rememberance, this is the first time that I have been so close to such a powerful storm that caused so much damage. I have gone into shelter in the past for tornado watches and warning but do not remember a tornado every materializing so close. Also, I know this area affected and I drive by the majority of it on a daily basis. To see the landscape change so drastically, it is awe inspiring. Its a lot like the Ice Storm of 2003 where you hear so much about storms and their damage but until you experience it, there is no real understanding of the devastation and affects. I also have a multitude of friends that leave in the Masterson Station area. Thus far all those I have talked to are okay. There are couple people that I know in the area that I am unsure if their house was damaged or not. I wish them the best.

I do know this. God was watching over everyone in the area of these storms. There was no serious injuries or death. And lucky for one family, they were not home when there house was leveled. God was really caring for them. Thank ya Jesus.

Here are some links to newsreports on the storms:
WKYT-Tornadoe Cleanup under way in North Lexington
Lex Herald Leader - 'There was a tornado'
Lex Herald Leader - Nearly Every Street Blocked by trees, lines

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

First, you should switch to haloscan's comments b/c we don't have to log in to comment...

but I just wanted to say I'm glad God protected you and that He let me "miss" it b/c that would have scared me to death. I hate windy storms. They really scare me.

BeNotAfraid said...

When you get back you can help me set that up.

I am dissappointed in the fact that Lindseys blog got a link before my blog did. I think I am doing a bit better job than she is at posting new things. :-(

Chris thanks for appreciating my blog unlike the rest of my friends :-)

Chris said...

I got your back Robin :-) Let me know if you need anymore help adding things to your blog.

BeNotAfraid said...

Thanks Chris.