Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Church Teachings: Marriage

Thanks to kasclar for doing some legwork about the Catholic Church and teachings on marriage. In reading over the information, I felt that some of you may be interested as well. It also relates to a conversation back in mid-April on Chris's site about Baptism.

kasclar maybe next week's topic could be on Baptism and the Catholic Church's teaching on who can perform a Baptism.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I can certainly address Baptism. That's actually a very interesting topic with lots of things to think about.

I'll give it some consideration.

Kerri said...

By the way, I added some more info to this post in the comments section to my original post. If you're interested ...

Kwadwo A. Poku said...

I'm hesitating writing this comment. Why? Because I feel unqualified on many levels. First of all I am not a Catholic, and I don't know if this question is for only Catholics. I've never been a catholic, and I am not an expert or a student on Catholicism. I know some things about Catholicism, not enough, but a couple of things. I have learned a lot of these things through family members and friends who are Catholics. Others, I have mostly picked up through literature. I say all this to say I hope you forgive my ignorance if I say something not in sync with the Catholic teaching.

On the other hand, I feel qualified to comment. Why? Because I am a Christian. A Christian not because I was born into a Christian home, or because I have gone to church all my life. A Christian, because I personally and consciously made Jesus my lord and savior. Yes I come with some knowledge, but most importantly, I come with a teachable spirit.

I realized one thing reading the original posting. There was no reference to the Bible. All references were made to traditions established in the 1600's. So here's my question: Wouldn't it be better to dig into the scriptures to see what it has to say about this topic? We can lay it side by side with the traditions and see what lines up and what doesn't it. Which traditions shine a light on the scriptures, and which are personal interpretations and preferences which shouldn’t be doctrines and dogmas for everyone. Another question that comes to mind is: How did the church or Catholics for that matter get married before the 1600’s?

I eagerly await your response.