Monday, September 03, 2007

How to push through an injury?

The cool air on Thursday intrigued me to venture outside for some fresh air and a bit of exercise. It was a perfect afternoon for a nice walk/jog. I took off to the walking path and into a quite neighborhood. I thought all was going well. I jogged/walked for a little over 40 minutes. A consistent run of about 8 minutes occurred twice, along with a brief 3 minute run. I stretched and felt pretty good about things, until Friday.

Friday, I headed into campus to take care of some things and meet my HESA buddy for lunch. This required quite a bit of walking but nothing out of the ordinary. The pain in my right foot was excruciating. A couple times, I decided that I flat could walk no longer and waited for the bus to pick me up.

Today, I gave in and went to the health center to have my foot looked at. I feel like a wimp, but after thinking about it further, I realized that my right foot had been bothering me off and on all last semester at least. The pain was not a muscle strain or pull, but felt more like a possible bone fracture. Thankfully, it is not a bone fracture, though I wander if it would be easier to take care of if it was.

Diagnosis: There is a tendon from the leg/ankle that attaches to the bone on the outside of your foot. Apparently, I have damaged the tendon, but it has not pulled apart and damaged bone, at least not yet.

Treatment: Stay off of it as much as possible, ibuprofen for inflammation, and some ice.

How do you stay off the foot when you are on a college campus and everything requires walking? I was offered crutches, though not necessarily enforced to use them. I went ahead and took them, because if the pain is as bad as it was on Friday. There is no way that I will continuously make it from location to location on campus via foot. Definitely not a new experience being on crutches on a college campus, but I really hate crutches because a) its hard to get around with them b) everyone tries to sympathize and feel sorry for you. I hate drawing attention to myself, but at the same time, I really would like my foot to get better.

Apparently, this is not an injury that will heal quickly anyway. And if this is the same pain and issue, I was having last semester. It definitely is not going to be healing quickly.

What would you do? Be macho and ignore the crutches or suck it up for the betterment of the foot. Is it really for the betterment? I am usually hardcore, but as I get older, I have found myself a lot more cautious about injuries. I prefer to still be walking when I hit 40, which 10 years ago I said probably wouldn't be the case.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Compromise - get a scooter, skateboard or bike :-)

Kerri said...

I like the scooter idea. Otherwise, use the crutches; yes, they're a pain, but at least it will heal. Then make sure outside of classes and work that everyone comes to you for group study sessions or whatever. Of course, that may also mean trying to keep your apartment somewhat in order; but maybe that's not an issue, it would be for me.

BeNotAfraid said...

Chris...those things would probably cause me greater harm than good, especially the skateboard. I am not that coordinated.

kasclar....thanks for being a concerned voice. I like to be hard headed at the same time, I know it is for my own good to use the crutches. I have been trying to use them around the apartment at minimal success. As far as keeping the apartment clean, well that comes and goes. It takes two seconds to throw crap around and make a mess, and fortunately usually not a ton longer to clean it all back up.