Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Skullbuster Rally

Another event on last weekends schedule was a Road Rally. The first rally in several years and the skills were a bit rusty, especially at the beginning.

The Skullbuster Rally was a Time Speed Distance rally in northern Scott County, which actually went through Skullbuster, KY. G and I paired up once again to work on defeating the men's teams as well as all others. The skills as mentioned earlier were a bit rusty and sleep deprived, but that did not matter as we still finished 2nd. We defeated all the teams we really sought out and will look to improve in the future.

Definitely had some eventful moments with 2-3 missed turns and one navigator second guessing, which resulted in a couple minutes loss plus a potty break. All worked out as I was able to correct our time and purchase a time allowance to keep us inline for a victory. I try hard not to take time allowances but with a potty break there was not a whole lot of options.

Key things learned from this and past rallies:
- Remind driver to have gas in car.
- Keep driver from drinking too much before the event starts especially caffeinated beverages.
- I really need more sleep before starting and I'm definitely the nerd with the calculator and table for calculating :-)

I encourage you to try it out. If you like to drive and enjoy the country side, it can be fun times. The next event is a Gimmick rally which does not require time calculations like the TSD rallies. Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance as I have to be within 15 minutes of FC, but it should be a lot of fun. Check out the CKRSCCA website Rally Schedule.

1 comment:

Harold Combs said...

Hey, at least your Nav didn't eat a 6 course breakfast and Ralf all over himself 1/2 mile from the final checkpoint.

:-)