Monday, October 01, 2012

Healthier Living: 5K Edition (Take 24)

Week 24 -- 201.0 pounds
Week 23 -- 201.6 pounds
Week 22 -- 200.4 pounds
......
Week 1 -- 211.4 pounds

Woo hoo!! Yes, I am still alive and moving after Saturday's 5K race. The course was full of hills and lots of walking up those hills, but in the end, I successfully met and exceeded my goal of running under 40 minutes. Official time 36:32.99. 61 out of 87 in my female age group and 1301 out of 1708 runners.

I started out with my friends but quickly lost them on the first hill that basically started the race. I tightened up quickly and struggled to breath from the onset. I didn't feel too nervous at the start but once the gun went off, I think it all hit. Thanks to my friends roommate and boyfriend, I was able to push it through the last 1/2 to 1/4 mile with a lot of support. As a breathed hard, they just ran along with ease though the roommate had already ran 17 miles before starting the 5K, as she trains for a marathon. The encouragement kept me going forward and not stopping until the finish.

There is definitely a lot of training to be had in the coming months if the Derby mini-marathon is to be accomplished, but I am getting more and more determined to accomplish it.

Otherwise, this week was pretty slow. As mentioned in last weeks update, I ran Monday night, which was a good run. Tuesdays run was a bit rough and only 2.8 miles. Thursday, I did the usual 1.5 mile walk with my co-worker. We are talking about starting to go to the gym down the street and working out. We will see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the support! We will see how the next few weeks go and work on officially deciding on the mini-marathon. Though at this time, I have almost told too many people about this plan that it pretty much is going to have to happen. Truthfully, I believe that is my subconscious, unconsciously working towards that goal.

No comments: