Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Listening to God's Plan: Life vs Career

Where should our focus lie as we seek to listen and follow God's plan for our lives? The resounding answer for me the past few weeks has come down to life versus career. You may say isn't your career your life or at least part of it. Yes, career contributes a lot to life, but it also sucks a lot from life and can become very controlling of one's life. Therefore, my new focus for listening to God's plan is to focus on life and let life depict the next career move instead of career depicting the next life choice.

What exactly does that mean? Life represents faith, family, and friends. Life comprises of spirituality, love, health, and relationships. Life is not about money, fame, and popularity. Life does not require me to be a millionaire, to drive a fancy car, or to be a hero (Millionaire by FFH – stop and listen to the words). Life is about listening to what God wants for my life.

When posed with the question: if I was a millionaire, what would I be doing? My thought was to do something related to what I was doing right then and there: educating, mentoring, supporting, providing spiritual direction to youth and young adults of this world; helping to build community engagement through service and education of others for the betterment of our world; and providing and supporting a united family of Christian believers.

As I sit listening to the talk on ‘Saint You’ which concluded our weekend HS retreat focused on “Roll Away Your Stone” by Mumford and Sons, it touched me very personally for several reasons. One, I shared in the pain of the speaker having experienced being 30 and single and now quickly approaching 35 and still single. Not that anything is wrong with being single, but I always imagined being happily married with multiple children running around by now. Two, the instantaneous knowledge that I would not be doing the job I am doing if I was a millionaire makes me strongly reflect on what are the next steps of life. Three, upon reflecting on the talk and reflections questions, tears trickled down my face. Reflecting it came to me that instead of tears of pain, maybe they were more tears of joy at the realization that God’s plan and my dreams are unfolding and coming true right in front of me. Maybe God is answering my prayers and showing me my true love and next direction in life. All I need to do is be patient and let God’s hand guide and direct it along the right path.

In further reflection on God’s plan for my future, I stop to reflect on the readings from Monday and Father’s homily. Father spoke about how grave sickness, especially of that found in a child, makes us stop and re-center our lives around what is important: faith, family and friends. The parable of the rich fool (Luke 12:16-21) reminds us that storing up grains and goods so that we may be merry and happy for many years is foolish for whom will these things belong when we are no longer. Are these things that we can take to heaven with us or is there something richer in life to store up for our eternal lives in heaven? What does focusing on myself and leaving out others really get me? It does not provide me happiness and joy like volunteering with the youth and young adults in the parish or hanging out with friends and helping with their little ones.

“But God said to him, ‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.” (Luke 12:20-21)

Listening to God’s plan and trusting in Him.

Links to previous related posts and my journey to listen to God’s plan.
What are we living for?
Listening to God's Plan
Love - Friendship, Romance, Unconditional, Affectionate - Love
His Way is Best

2 comments:

Shannon H. said...

Good thoughts. Remember Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan that He knows, but we don't always know. Most of the time, He only gives us enough light to see the next step. If we knew the next 10 steps, then we might freak out and quit following Him. :) Also, we can be a light wherever God has us at the moment so keep that light shining even while you're waiting on God's direction. Oh, and check out a song by John Waller called "While I'm Waiting." Love ya, girl!

BeNotAfraid said...

Thanks Shannon! I remember often Jeremiah 29:11 as I read the various versus in the scripture holder you gave me many years back that has that verse at the top of the holder. It too has been an inspiration. Thanks!