Monday, August 06, 2012

What are we living for?

Why do we work and work and work even more? What is the purpose behind all of this work? What are we trying to achieve or not achieve? Are we truly satisfied and living a fulfilling life? What is a fulfilling life look like? Who are we trying to impress? Are our actions supporting the better good or just ourselves? Do others allow us to help the better good or are they only interested in their own? What is accomplishment and where does society's view of accomplishment really get us?

I could probably go on and on with questions. Where is the happiness, the love, the joy, the feeling of helping in all of this? To me today's society and ways of life are more frustrating than fulfilling. As I listened to the homily on Sunday and read my daily reflection, I again was reminded to focus on eternity and life with our Creator. A feeling of relief came over me as I realized that I am not crazy for wanting to live a simple life, to help others, and enjoy every moment that I have.

The priest talked about wants versus needs. We have key things that we need in life, but we do not have to have the top of the line or everything for that need. His example was that a member of the church needs a car to get to Mass, but one does not need a brand new fancy car with all the bells and whistles, just reliable transportation.

Living Faith: Daily Catholic Devotional for August 5th, 2012 had this question for reflection, "We work so much of each day to sustain our mortal life, but eventually it will end. Wouldn't it make sense to spend a bit more time today on the things of eternity?"

Yes, there are things that we must do in order to survive our mortal life but not all things are necessary. Just as there are needs and wants, there are musts and extras. After having worked several jobs that consumed my life and again stripped my joy, I vowed to not let work run my life. Though often it is apparent that I still care too much about my job and trying to help others and make their lives easier,  I continue to put my best foot forward and help others in anyway I can. Generosity is not always accepted or welcomed, but it is who I am and will never go away. Thanks to those who appreciate and accept me and my generosity for what it is.

I want to live life not have life run me. Today's society is so much about being ran by the extras and wants and losing focus on the true picture of eternity and fulfilling our needs.

The Lord is blessing me with a great opportunity to share my love for Him, helping others, and leadership. I pray that God will continue to bless me in my endeavors against the grain of society and that I can act and be a positive witness to all those lives I touch each and everyday. Sometimes it is a struggle to remain positive and upbeat when things keep shooting you down and causing frustrations.

May your life be full of fulfillment, joy, and happiness!

No comments: