Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Smiles Cinco

In writing this post every Saturday, I have begun to appreciate more and more what God provides for me and where He is taking me in life. Over the past few weeks, I have started to regain a sense of peace about God's plan for my future. I still do not understand what that plan is, but I feel comfortable about where I am headed and that something significant is in the works.

In the meantime, what has really made me smile this week: the opportunity to spend time developing some leadership sessions for an upcoming youth leadership team retreat. It is a carryover from last week, where I met with the youth minister and we planned out the day long retreat. Then this week, I was able to spend two evenings putting together two sessions.

The first is to help the youth and the adult leadership team members learn a little bit about their personal leadership styles through colors. Showing Our True Colors: A Fun, Easy Guide for Understanding and Appreciating Yourself and Others by Mary Miscisin is the basis of the session. After completing a short form, you learn your dominate color(s) (Gold, Blue, Green, and Orange). With a review of each color, you really begin to understand the dynamics of the group and why some people are the life of the party and others work to keep you on track and focused.

Since this is working with a church youth group, I also looked at the incorporation of some bible verses. The focus of both sessions will be from 1 Corinthians 12. The True Colors session will look at how each of us are part of the body of Christ and help in our own unique ways.

The second session leads us into understanding who the team is and the development of our plans for the year. It is based on a session from the International Leadership Conference of 2010 called House of Leadership. To make it pertinent, we are going to build our Church of Leadership with the similar components of building one's personal House of Leadership. The session builds up from the foundation and first impression to the team's vision and yearly plan. Here I am pulling in the first portion of 1 Corinthians 12 speaking about the unity of gifts.

Working on these sessions has brought a huge smile and peace to my life. I pray that God will continue to provide me the wisdom and words to share with the youth and adult leaders this coming Saturday and months and years to come. I ask for his guidance in my life as I share and provide support for the youth of tomorrow.

Thanks for reading. How have you seen God's presence in your life this week? What has brought a smile to your face? If interested in more information on these sessions, please feel free to ask.

For another Saturday Smiles, check out the Journal of Nobody's weekly post, Saturday Smiles, no. 6.

No comments: