Saturday, September 29, 2012

Saturday Smiles Trece

Friends, Family, Relationships

The Lord again blesses me each day and waking moment with the opportunity to rekindle an old friendship, spend time with family, experience the building of new relationships, or maintaining current relationships.

Twelve years ago, I graduated from college and last Saturday, I attended Homecoming activities for the 13th consecutive year since graduation. Why do I attend year after year even though the people I know in attendance often is minimal? Because you never know who might decide to come in that year. This year was again no exception. I reconnected with some great folks and had wonderful conversations with classmates, professors, and new staff members. One connection with a development officer led to a lunch meeting on Thursday and what I foresee to be the starts of a great relationship and potential opportunities to share my talents and passions with my alma mater. If anything, it continued to send me down this new path of discernment for my life.

After attending Homecoming festivities, I drove to my hometown to spend time my family and share in the joy of my cousin’s newest child being baptized into the Catholic Church. Children are such a blessing in our lives, not only did I share in the baptism but enjoyed watching several little one’s play and have fun. A great pleasure since I have not had the opportunity to visit my other friends and their little boys in a good while.

Additionally, I spent some time with my paternal grandparents, who are not in the best of condition. This is actually something that is very hard for me to do as I want to remember them in their good days. My grandfather’s alzheimer’s is pretty bad as he has little to know recollection of who I am. My grandmother on the other hand still has great long term memory but struggles with short term memory. He recently turned 90 and my grandmother turns 89 this coming week. They have lived some good years and may they have more to come.

The Lord is also working through the young professionals ministry started at my church. We continue to bring in new folks and those in attendance seem to really be enjoying the spiritual journey with Christ and developing new relationships with one another. May God continue to bless and guide this group as we grow and seek His guidance.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to additional conversations with people whom I have recently reconnected and sharing my journey and listening to theirs since we last gathered. And building upon and deepening new friendships and relationships gained over the past year with some fantastic individuals.

How has God touched your life this week and brought a smile to your face and heart? Don’t forget to check out Journal of a Nobody’s weekly Saturday Smiles as well.

No comments: