Have you moved jobs lately or moved to a different city or state? If so, then you might have realized the differences in sports popularity and your personal sports knowledge. I have definitely noticed then in my last two career movements, especially this time.
Starting six years ago and continuing for almost four years, I definitely knew when and where the World Cup was being played, who was playing in it, and the status of the competition. Why? Because my coworkers were from Bulgaria and Russia where soccer more commonly known as football is the number one sport. Secondly, I kept up with UK sports especially basketball, attending my first game in Rupp Arena. Thanks to tickets from a professor. The best thing about being on staff at Georgetown was the numerous amounts of tickets available for a variety of events.
Two years ago, I learned quickly that my business casual wardrobe had way too much red and not a stitch of UK Blue. Every time I appeared at work in red, especially red and black, coworkers greeted me affirming the fact that I was dressed in UofL colors and that it looked quite nice on me. I quickly remedied that situation at least adding blue into the wardrobe. I no longer knew anything about soccer, but become very aware of both UK and UofL football and basketball programs. Also because of my long drive and enjoyment of listening to 590, I began listening almost nightly to the sports radio program. Allowing me to learn all about the ups and downs of the football and basketball programs at UK as well as how some of the other programs were doing like baseball and women's basketball.
Living in Georgetown, I also started to get familiar with football. Not growing up with football, I still no very little about the sport, though I became an avid Georgetown College fan towards my latter years of undergrad, and since I have found myself on a Sunday afternoon catching a glimpse at the Bengals or even attempting to watch some UK games, like this evening.
Now that I have moved to Indiana, I have no clue what is going on in UK sports. I feel totally out of the loop. I really had no clue what to truly expect this evening though I had my opinions. Granted I really had hoped for a slightly better showing than what I have seen thus far. As you can tell, I have lost interest in the game and decided to come write about sports than watch them. So if anyone hears any news worthy information about UK sports, please forward it on so that I can keep up. Though as I told my dad earlier, I might just have to become a Hoosier football fan, if Kentucky keeps playing this way. Then again maybe, I will switch over to soccer, since it seems to be very popular around here. Plus since I don’t drive hours a day, I don't get my daily sports commentaries so in ways seem totally out of the sports loop period.
Next time you move take a look at your sports interest and knowledge. See how it changes.
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment