During the past day and a half as I read through the assignments for this week, I have started to feel a bit dated. The majority of the documents were published as I was graduating or thereafter. In ways, I actually enjoy reading these documents because I can relate to the findings of the late 20th Century as I was a part of these findings.
Side Note: The late 20th Century was also a part of the big shift in Higher Education with the technology boom. As I started undegrad, rooms were for the first time being fully wired with internet and telephone access. I would say that maybe 1 in 5 students had a personal computer though that may be a bit optimistic. Cell phones, if you had them, were for emergency use only though most people didn't have them until closer to 2000. Now every student has a cell phone and checks them between every break and walk to class on the phone.
Back to the subject: It also makes me think about what I would have learned about six years ago. Like the area of technology, the profession of Higher Education Student Affairs is growing and developing at fast paced rates especially with the evolving areas of technology. The number of things students face and education in general face today has so much to do with the evolving technological field. I guess I can't totally run away from technology, no matter how much I may want to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the goal of getting back into shape and also the love of sports, I signed up to play on the HESA intramural volleyball team. Season doesn't actually start until late September, but five of us got together last Monday evening to get in a little practice. Within the first half hour, I had already sprained my left thumb pretty bad. I am still not sure exactly what I did. At first, I questioned whether or not it was broken, but I seemed to have full mobility and kept on playing. I new it was going to be sore and probably bruised by the next day. I never imagined my entire bottom half of my thumb being one large bruise. It wasn't sore anymore though it looked pretty bad. I had a few other random bruises on the hand as well. But as I was contemplating the status of my hand on the volleyball court, I started wandering was I too old to be out here playing with all these spry youngsters. I think the true reason for that thought is not as much age but current status of athletic ability. I am slowly but surely trying to improve this situation. I walked to campus twice this week though I did get a ride back home both days, but still it was a good 30 minute walk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Thursday, I attend Mass on campus during lunchtime. I didn't necessarily feel old for being there but in talking with the Brother Patrick about the Graduate and Young Professionals group which they had recently started at St Paul’s. I asked what sort of age range were they looking to work with and he says 23-30. Wow what a small age range and it made me think about YAACK and experiences there. I really feel that the group is limiting at that age range. Especially since being in my latter 20's and having spent the last few years with people in their 30's, I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of those wiser and older than I as well as learning from the younger and helping to develop them into young adults.
Saturday, September 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment