Help please! My dorkness, nerdness, or just stubbornness has hit its limit. I am in need of a programming tool to create a visual application for the Contact Database. The database has been created and data inserted. A few modifications have occurred from the original design and more tweaking is needed I am sure. There is definitely a lot more to contact data management than meets the eye, but we are getting somewhere. The problem now is that I have no clean way of inserting, updating, and deleting the data from the database. Since no one has come forward willing to do some visual coding, I must attempt to learn or re-learn how to program in some language in order to create a frontend application for the database.
Therefore the question is what should I try to tackle. Is anyone familiar with the Visual Studio Express items? Are these actually language apps to create true applications? Do they interact with the SQL Server Express? Any other suggestions or advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just off the top of my head...this is much more Chris' forte than mine:
If you're willing to tolerate a Web-based interface, you've got lots of options:
- Ruby on Rails
- Django (Python)
- Straight PERL DBI (I'm sure there's newer stuff, but that's pretty easy).
And the 900-lb gorilla: PHP 5
Avoid anything to do with Java like the plague. You could do that with a Hibernate/Java stack, but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you want a thick application, I'd say try VB.net. Won't be pretty, as you'll be squashing your presentation layer with your DataAccess (that is, embedding SQL or Stored procedures in your view), but for a homespun app, VB is nice.
Post a Comment