Monday, July 09, 2007

Smaller Cities Lose Their Identity

Has Lexington really grown large enough to have suburbs? Especially suburbs that are really not attached to the city in any true fashion.

The following is quoted from an AP article on WKYT.
"The bus was traveling to the Lexington suburb of Georgetown for
a weeklong church camp at Georgetown College, Hale said."

When did Georgetown become a suburb of Lexington? The answer it hasn't, yet. I do understand that one day it may become more of a suburb of Lexington, but currently, there is nothing that ties the two towns together in close enough proximity to consider it a suburb. There is still a lot of rural land between Lexington and Georgetown, which unfortunately is quickly depleting, but not enough for Georgetown to be a suburb of Lexington.

What are your thoughts on the suburbanization of Lexington or other towns?

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Actually, I have lived in Lexington for 7 years now and I have always thought of Georgetown, Winchester, and Versailles as suburbs of Lex. Mostly because they are close enough for people to live in and still easily work in Lexington without a huge commute.

Maybe I think this way because I have almost always lived in suburbs of much larger cities than Lexington. The only exception was the small town in Massachusetts I lived in for two years. But otherwise, I've lived in Boston, the subrubs of D.C., the suburbs of NYC (bit of a stretch, but kind of close), and the suburbs of Atlanta. Lexington can't compare with any of these cities, but being a city girl, I see the surrounding communities to Lexington as suburbs. I don't think the farm land between them has any significance in deciding if something is a suburb or not.

I don't quite understand your rational for having something connecting the communities in order to make one a suburb of the other. If you need a connection, I see the connection of where people live and where people work (or even where they shop--the mall/large shopping centers are in Lex for many of these surrounding communities)as a connection. I don't think it has to be a physical connection.

Kwadwo A. Poku said...

I don't classify Georgetown as a suburb of Lexington. Why? Because Georgetown still has it's own identity and it hasn't been overshadowed by Lexington yet. People still say Georgetown College in Georgetown. Toyota plant in Georgetown. I am yet to hear Toyota plant in Lexington or Georgetown College in Lexington. I think a city/town becomes a suburb when most people (even the residents of that city) say they live in the big city. For instance: Fern Creek and Jefferstown residents say they live in Louisville.

BeNotAfraid said...

Kwadwo makes the sound reason that I agree with. Sorry, Georgetown is not a suburb of Lexington.

I don't by the whole working relationship making a town a suburb of another. If that is reasoning, then Lexington is just as much of a suburb of Georgetown as you would state Georgetown a suburb of Lexington.

Is Shelbyville a suburb of Louisville? If you say no, then what is the difference between Shelbyville and Georgetown that one would be a suburb of a city and the other not.