Saturday, November 03, 2012

Saturday Smiles Dieciocho

As the wind howled and the sky spit, a chill filled the air and definitely made it non-conducive for having to get pictures taken. No matter, I cleaned up, fixed my hair, put some makeup on, and headed to church for my church pictorial directory picture. Upon arriving around 6:35 pm, MR greeted me, checked me in, and offered for me to sit and chat with her. MR is a lovely lady who attends mass on Monday evenings and has brought me some delicious veggies from her garden this summer. She is quite the pleasant lady and entertaining I quickly learned Tuesday night. Having no one else to keep me company and the opportunity to get to know MR a bit more besides our passing at mass on Monday's, I joined her behind the table and helped her as other folks came and went for their pictures.

Then it was my turn for pictures. I went in and the gentleman snapped some photos of me and then took me into the room to review, pick my directory picture, and so try to sell me more. I really am not good at the whole picture picking process, two of the pictures for the directory looked nice. I was not sure if I preferred the closer or further away picture so I called MR to go check out the pictures and pick one. She went with the one a bit further out, which is where I was leaning, but the photographer was pushing the closer up. I just stuck with the free page of wallets. Hopefully, mom will like the picture and now be able to update the picture in her wallet.

After all of that, MR and I continued to hang out until everyone was checked in for the night. She technically was supposed to have been replaced by someone, but no one had signed up for the latter shift. We had a lovely time hanging out and talking. I enjoyed my evening with MR and getting to see a few new faces and some old faces that I already knew.

Thursday, I received two emails that brightened my day and very much not expected or necessary. The joy I received from helping out on Tuesday night was thanks enough, but the church administrator in charge of the picture process sent me an email thanking me for helping out. Then later in the day, I received an email from the youth minister that included a note of appreciation for the assistance I provide to that program. Truthfully, the appreciation should go to him and the church for providing me the opportunity to share in this amazing ministry program. Both emails were just what I needed to get through the day and stay focused on the positives of life.

The Lord blesses us in so many ways. May you find time in your busy life to just sit, talk, and help someone out. Don't forget to let others know how much you appreciate and care for them. You never know what difference you will make in their life at the moment or the moments to come.

Thank you for reading this blog and sharing in my journeys!

Check out a Journal of a Nobody's Saturday Smiles and other blog posts.

No comments: