Sunday, November 28, 2004

Traffic Take Two

Okay so I just thought that the trip to Paducah was long. It was nothing like this evening's trip back from Paducah. Around 4 pm CST, I headed out and back to my humble abode. Though it was a rainy and soon to be dark ride back to the bluegrass, it really was uneventful at least I thought. When I hit I-65, I debated whether or not to go the BG or on up to Louisville. Considering that the BG would have taken me along some wide backroads through Versailles and Midway, I decided it was safer to go through Louisville. Though the change in scenery would have been nice, a good break from my day to day driving of I-64. Plus there was this person (known as my father) in my head telling me that Louisville route would be safer, though I would prefer you wait til morning. So I headed up and through the outskirts of Louisville, half and hour from home and that is when trouble hit.

Luckily for me, I had not left a few mere minutes earlier because about 1 mile pass Graefenburg/Lawerenceburg exit everything came to a complete halt. Not really knowing what was happening except that traffic was not moving at all. After a few minutes of no movement, the car was put into park. Thinking that something might happen soon, I waited a few more minutes and still no movement. So I decided to turn the lights out and the car off. Four state troopers came down the side with there lights flashing. I few more minutes went by and I decided I needed to find something to do. So I got out and found the cross-stitch that I was working on in the trunk and started working on it using the overhead light. Half and hour had passed and still no movement. I could see the lights from an ambulance or firetruck flickering off of a semi up ahead. I figured the wreck was not too far ahead of me. I called a friend to say hello and continued work on my cross-stitch. Every now and then I turned the car on to warm up and make sure the battery wouldnt run down with the light on. Minutes upon minutes passed by....a half an hour later or so, a flatbed tow truck drove by. I figured that was definitely a good sign that the accident was starting to be cleaned up. Another half an hour went by, as I talked to my friend and worked on my cross-stitch. Then all of a sudden the guy in front of me turned on his lights and put on his brakes. First in a bit of shock and disbelief that we might actually get to move again, I put away the cross-stitch and started up the car.

Next thing, I knew we were going 30, then 40, then 50, and soon about 60. It only took a few minutes, maybe 2.5 miles until I was driving through a bunch of broken glass. It surely didnt excite me to drive through all that glass, though I was glad to be moving again. And extremely glad that my bladder was still making it. Since the last stop was at Beaver Dam and I got a drink to go at that time. Yikes... that could have been really bad, especially being alone in the dark stuck. Luckily, I made it home safe and sound and it actually wasnt raining when I got home. So I was able to unpack the majority of my car without it getting wet again.

This adventure took 5.5 hrs to complete. I think this is two of the longer trips that I have had in my many journeys back and forth. Definitely, the first trip to have problems going both ways.

No comments: