Derby Eve, I get in my car and after a bit, I realize that the center console display is pitch black. So I turn the knob on the dash that controls the brightness, nothing happens. I search for any other switch that may control the radio display, no luck. Finally, I get a hold of one of the SCCA guys who works as a Honda tech. He informs me that it is caused by a short in the unit behind the display. Great...how much will that cost me? $600 for the part alone. Insanity for a 2.5 year old car to have such a problem, so I decide to contact America Honda about the issue. For them to consider the issue, I have to take it to a Honda Dealership and have them analyze it. Call Sam Swope Honda in Louisville. $35 for them to tell me that there is a short in the display, again outrageous.
After thinking about it, $35 is better than $600 plus labor if I can get America Honda to pay for it. The car is reaching 60000 miles so in definite need of a transmission fluid flush, air filters replaced, and whatever else might need to be checked out. Call to check on the price of 60000 mile checkup, $270. Yikes but that included oil change, tire rotation, and windshield wipers. Take all that off and it will be right at $200. Okay why not it has to be done and I need to take it in anyway.
Schedule an appointment for Tuesday morning. Take in my 10% off major maintenance coupon and Tuesday evening, I leave Sam Swope only paying $136 and not having to pay $35 for them to tell me the radio display needs replaced. Yeepee, now if I can get the radio paid for it will be a great week.
Wednesday before running off to Churchill downs, I call America Honda back and tell them okay the dealership has diagnosed. Thursday afternoon, I receive a call from America Honda. They will pay for the radio part, I just have to pay for the 1 hr labor. Okay, I probably can handle that.
Call Matt at Sam Swope. He is shocked that I already got his message though actually I hadnt got his message because it was left at home, but I had received the call from America Honda. Labor - $90 bucks. Not too bad. So after going to the car to get the radio number, I call Matt back and the radio part is on order so hopefully by the first week of June the radio will be fixed.
And instead of being out nearly $900 for the radio and 60000 tune up, I am out less than $250. Wonderful news considering I still need to purchase new tires for the car before the summer is over most likely at least before winter.
FYI-If you have a Honda or Acura (2003), there is a common issue with the radio display shorting out. There is actually a service bulletin out on it, so dont be afraid to call America Honda to see if they will replace if you car is no longer under warranty.
By the way, the car does now have over 60000 miles as it hit the milemarker on the way from Lex to Gtown on Tuesday Eve.
Friday, May 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment