Friday, May 20, 2005

Churchill Downs - Louisville, KY

What a Wednesday I had! Midday Tuesday, one of my managers stops by my desk with a ticket to Churchill Downs for Wednesday. Having never been to a horse track for horse racing, I was quite excited about this opportunity.

Why did I get this opportunity? Back in April, you remember the story about the insane weekend at work, well this was the VPs thanking us for a job well done. About 20 of us got the opportunity, to head to the tracks on Wednesday and enjoy the corporate box in the Jockey Suites. Lunch and beverages were provided.

Having never been to a horse race and really knowing nothing about the odds and how to bet. I was at the mercy of luck and those around who did have some clue what they were doing. I did get a handicap sheet on my way out of the office from Ken. It took him all of 5 secs to pull up the eponies website and print off the handicap sheet for the day. It actually ended up being a big hit in the suite and Craig won a Trifecta off of it on the 2nd race, though it didnt have the best of luck in some of the other races.

My personal betting started off somewhat slow trying to get my feet wet and overall didnt have much success. Still having no clue how to read everything, I just pulled everyone's information in and made my own bets. It was still a lot of fun. The first race in which I was able to cash in on was Race 6 out of a 10 Race day. I selected number 3, Court of Maximus, on a $2 show bet. Odds did not favor him but I liked the name and won $5.20 of it.

Now Race 8 was the interesting race. Most of the office had left by then, there was less than 10 of us still around. Van was apparently doing a lot of winning so I asked for his assistance and thoughts on the previous couple. He asked if I wanted to go in with him on $2 Exacta Box. I said sure. Our first picks were 3, 5, 7 which were the favorites across most of the boards. At the last minute, he decides to change to 3, 5, 2, so that was our final bet. I head outside to watch the race from the deck, it was a close one. Van comes running out yelling SQL Sister we won. I was a bit confused, but thought maybe I had missed something. Unfortunately, he was the one who missed the fact that 7 finished first followed by 3 and 5. So we lost :-( I really should have put money down on 3, 5, 7 but I didnt. The last two races he wanted me to pick, and unfortunately I think we missed by one horse each time.

Race 9 had a horse named Gigawatt. Considering the reason we were out there, it just seemed appropriate to put a bet down on Gigawatt. I won $4.40 off a $2 show bet. The last and final race of the day had another horse which followed the theme of the event, Recognition, which finished 1st and I won $2.20 off another $2 show bet. And the final horse which I won off of for the day was Homily, who showed and resulted in a $2.60 return.

Though for the day, I ended up in the hole compared to what I spent, it was a wonderful experience and overall ended up ahead with a slight sunburn on the lower quarter of my arm (having a 3/4 length sleeve shirt on).

Definitely a great experience, and I thank all those that made this wonderful day a reality for us in systems.

Plus now I dont have to say I have never been horse racing before and everyone doesnt have to be in such shock over the fact. :-)

No comments: