Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Quick Update

Thanks to those readers who actually did wander what happened to me. Truthfully life has been insanely busy lately and this unfortunately will have to be short. I need to finish preparing for Bible Study tomorrow night.

First Weekend of April - I went to Nashville. It was a great trip and has to do with that whole career and life update story. I promise it is coming.

The weekend prior to the one just ending was a very insane weekend. Partially due to my own insanity and wanting to make sure everything that I did was done and working properly. As some of you might remember, last fall at work, we had a very long weekend and actually ended up not deploying the entire project and instead swapped out hardware. Well this weekend which I am speaking of we finally did deploy the rest of the project. It really went very smoothly but had several time consuming parts amongst it.

Friday night, my managers, fellow DBA (YH), and myself spent a very stormy night at work until late into the night. Around 3 am Saturday morning we finally left to get some sleep at a nearby hotel. Around 6:30 am, BM, YH, and myself appeared again at work all frustrated with either the connection from the hotel or the laptop in general. We all had a goal in mind to get everything up and ready for the development staff when they came in and not push our deadlines any further back. Unfortunately, our processes took twice as long on the production hardware as it did on the testing hardware. But luckily, all things went smoothly and we got the system back up and ready for testing on a decent time schedule.

I did run out a bit before 10 am to go grab a quick shower and check out of the hotel. Returning to work shortly after 11 am. Continuously believing that I would be able to leave in time for evening Mass Saturday night. Things were looking good until the Techs finally decided that they were seeing a slow response out of one of the stored procedures which I had created. So none the less, I ended up staying at work til about 9:30 pm, at which time my mangers said your are leaving now. So I headed off to the hotel to catch some sleep.

It wasnt great sleep as I had the pager with all the success/failure messages next to my bed so that I could make sure that all the processes were running as expected for the first run through. I chased the pager (set on vibrate) all over the nightstand, and only had one failure which didnt have to be solved til morning.

Sunday Morning came, I arose around 8:30 am, debating which Mass to attend at St Michaels around the corner in J-town. Finally deciding on the 10 am Mass, I got up and got ready for church. I did dial into work succesfully from the hotel on my laptop, and fixed the one failure. Church service was very nice and I do remember a couple key pts from the Deacons homily. I made one last call into work after church. My manager said all was well, asked me one question (which after realizing his times where in Central Time, not Eastern and that I wasnt loosing my mind totally). I went off to Rachel and Lindsey's to do laundry and sleep.

So the rest of last week was spent trying my hardest to catch up on sleep, after not sleeping in my own bed for 3 straight nights and getting very little continuously sleep any of those nights.

There is the other weekends crazy story. I promise the career and life update is coming. I must go prepare for bible study now.

And that was not such a quick update...just 20 minutes...sorry for not proofreading.

No comments: