Here is one of many long awaited posts to my blog.
Five years ago on May 13, I was graduating from Georgetown with my Bachelors in Mathematics and Computer Science, with a minor in Business Administration. Where was I going and what was I going to do with my life? Those were questions that I still didn't have real answer to, but everything around me said you are going to get a job in the IT Industry. Okay, that goes with my degree and I like aspects of the IT industry. 4 months later, I landed my first IT job as a Delphi programmer in Lexington, KY. Not the ideal job but it was a foot in the door, especially with the downward trend of the economy at the time. After 8 months, I was starting my third position within the company. This third position placed me in the area that I was more interested in. I became the database administrator for several SQL server's as well as the main SQL developer for the web pages, interesting work with a bit of a challenge at times. As time progressed on, I wasn't overly happy with where I was at. Though for another 3 years, I stayed in this same basic position gaining additional responsibilities overtime. Upon leaving the company, I was the main database administrator and web developer for the division.
During those 4 years, I constantly contemplated what was it I was suppose to be doing. On numerous occasions, I thought about going back to get my MBA in Finance, pursuing a career in Higher Education, or just finding another job in the IT Industry. For many reasons, I never pursued the other career fields, but constantly was applying for new jobs in the IT industry. Finally in July 2004, I landed my 2nd IT job as a Database Administrator in Louisville, KY.
Okay, so now I was in a new environment, getting respect for what I actually did in both title and pay, and after time realized that I am working with a great group of people. Managers throughout the company, including VPs, recognized the work their employees due and are there to encourage, not bring down. Today, I cannot in any way complain about the job that I have. I would like to be a bit more on the design and detail side of things, and actually know what all we are doing besides what's in the database. But overall in the whole scheme of things, I have no room to complain.
So why does the title say Career change? Because there is still something missing with this job that I cant complain about. With a lot of prayer and reflection the past 8 months, I feel God calling me in a different direction. It all started last fall around October, and by February, I was pretty certain that the IT industry is not for me long term.
So what is? Returning back to one of those careers which I have been contemplating for 5 years now, I have decided to pursue my masters in Higher Education. I feel that is what God is calling me to do and am really excited about working with students and helping to enhance their potentials in life.
What does a masters in Higher Education mean? Most degrees in Higher Education prepare you to work in the Student Life department of colleges, but it also prepares you to work in Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, and other offices on college campuses. Higher education can be broken into two main concentrations, counseling or administration. I plan to pursue the administration side of Higher Education. Goal is to become a college administrator in Student Life with a focus on student organizations, leadership, Greek, intramurals, government, and the like.
When? Since the decision came after 2005 applications were due, the goal is to start applying to Grad school this fall with interviews in the Spring. Starting the 2 year masters program in the fall of 2006.
Where? I have several schools in mind, most of which are in Indiana and Ohio. Looking possibly in Virginia, Missouri, and Kentucky. So yes I will finally move but not until I start my masters degree.
There is the quick synopsis of what's happening. A lot to think about and to figure out, but I am really excited though scared to death at the same time. Going back to school after 5 years, its a bit frightening but I know that I will be able to do it. It will just take getting over that first hump and digging back into the books.
Sunday, May 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment