Saturday, December 25, 2004

The Heartache

I know I left you all in midstream of my travels. Sorry about that. It was late and I figured the previous post was long enough.

So I hit the WK at Beaver Dam..oh my goodness...at first it was fair but not great, and then it turned worse. I was holding on and fighting the car ever inch of the way. Both lanes had been grated off smooth...smooth as glass almost. The snow was packed down tight and you could see the ruts from the day before. It wasnt chunky or broken up but smooth top with ruts. It was almost like glass. I kept telling myself I was dreaming. The car was shaking and bumping so bad.

At one time I was talking to my aunt and she asked me if I was cold I was almost in a chatter. It was the car shaking and bumping that bad.

I thought to myself on numerous occassions..."How far has it been since the Natcher, can I turn around and go back, how many more miles is it going to be this bad, should I keep on going?" I battled with myself for probably a good hr.

Three times I found myself sideways and having to catch myself and straighten back up. I saw cars in front of me get squirly as well. Luckily, I never hit anything, anyone, or got stuck.

We did stop once outside of Beaver Dam because a car had slid off and someone was helping them back out. I had my foot on the break and felt like I was still moving. I looked at the car and determined I wasnt. But then I put it in park and after a few minutes. I noticed that I was starting to slide down the road. Plus I saw a guy get out of his car and he about slid straight down the road. I knew at that pt it was really really slick out there.

It took me an 1.5 to get from Beaver Dam to Providence/Dawson Springs exit. Which encompassed approximately 40 miles of road. I have never wanted to go back home so bad and not worry about it. I started to think how crazy was I. Apparently pretty crazy.. Though I also thought that maybe I was just being a wimp, but I think a few others have confirmed that I wasnt just being a wimp.

So I finally made it to Paducah around 2 pm CST Christmas Eve. After Providence, the parkway was clear and I-24 was clear at least one lane. The first part was only one lane that went from the right to the left to the ctr and back to the right. Even the section of 2 lane did that as well. Driving along two lanes of traffic and next thing I know I am crossing the white center line going into the other lane with a car to my right following the same path to the shoulder. It was crazy.

The interestate in McCracken Co was clear and dry almost. I was going 70+ and so excited.

Well that was my journey. Now I have another day plus before I hit the roads again.

No comments: