Have we become to dependent on cell phones? How many people actually still have a land line? Since I moved to Bloomington, I know longer have a land line because of the additional cost that I would occur. Now if I had a full paying job, I might reconsider this option because I do feel a lot safer with a land line versus a cell phone. Granted if all you have are cordless phones in your house attached to land lines, you are in about as bad shape as if you just had a cell phone when the power goes out.
The issue discussed in the article on WKYT talks about the use of cell phones and how you really do not know where your 911 call is being received. Though this is outlining an issue on the river, the same could be true between towns.
Two things to remember:
- When using a cell phone to call in an emergency, remember to give state, town, and then the address.
- If you have a land line, make sure that at least one phone is not cordless or power dependent.
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I still have a landline, but mostly because I still use dial-up Internet access. Yes, I'm a little behind the times. But I'm moving in 7 months, so why change it now.
In addition to my cell phone I always had a cordless phone at home. Several years back a friend gave me a regular wall phone so that I would have one in the bedroom (I was their babysitter for child #1 when the wife went into labor with child #2). Recently my cordless phone's battery died and now I only have the phone my friends gave me. I could, of course, replace the battery, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Good post!!
I don't know that you are behind the times. Granted until I moved to Bloomington 8 months ago, I too was still on dial-up and I worked in IT. As long as it provides what you need, your dial-up was not that slow when I was there, why should you upgrade. I would assume that too was why I still had a landline. Upon moving, I opted for cable and cable internet, instead of landline and DSL because I had to have something besides PBS to watch.
Had I known your phone was dead, I could have let you borrowed one of my landline phones that are boxed up somewhere with absolutely no use currently.
Thanks!
Post a Comment