Shortly before 5 pm ET, I received a phone call from a former co-worker in Kentucky. He said, "Tubby is headed to Minnesota." I think it took me a good five minutes to a) understand what the heck he was talking about, b) to actually believe the statement was true. I was in shock and disbelief until I saw it with my own eyes on ESPN.com, Smith leaving Kentucky to coach Minnesota.
I proceeded to call my father afterwards to see if he had heard the story. He had not heard anything about it and did not believe me. After hanging up with my mother, he called me back to ask where it was published. He was certain it wasn't on ESPN yet. When I proceeded to tell him that yes it was on ESPN and the senior ESPN writer Andy Katz wrote the article, he finally decided that it must be true. According to that article, we will all know for sure at 1 pm tomorrow afternoon from the Twin Cities, where Tubby will be announced the new coach.
Speculations have already started about who will fulfill Tubby's shoes. I think it will be very interesting to see what is said by commentators and such during tonight's NCAA regional tournaments and throughout the weekend. Even more reason to watch basketball the next few days.
I might just tune into WVLK 590 AM Sports call in show tonight starting at 6 pm. At least, I believe they still have nightly sports radio at 6 pm. The bad thing about moving out of state is you can't stay as abreast on all of the happenings.
What do you think?
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment