Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring Break 2007

It was another return to the grand state of Kentucky for Spring Break, March 10-25. The semester thus far had been very busy therefore the trip was not well planned out, but nonetheless I had lots of fun. It was wonderful catching up with so many friends and hearing about their lives.

Friday - I had dinner in Louisville with a Georgetown friend. We ate at Mimi's Cafe on Hurstbourne. I enjoyed it though ate way too much over the course of the day. Then I drove to Lexington to stay with a church friend.

Two random things happened, one as we left our meeting spot at Sam's Club-Blankenbaker. A car was stopped at the stoplight crossing Blankenbaker on Bluegrass Pkwy. On Tuesday, I found out that the individual who owned that car was past co-worker from SHPS. An hour later the car was towed and fortunately was fixed by Tuesday. The other misfortune was that I left my jacket in my friends car. Luckily, it was not too cold the remaining part of the weekend.

Saturday was a rather relaxing day and after Kentucky, Indiana, and Louisville had all lost in their respective tournaments. I was not as determined to watch basketball the rest of the weekend. Instead, we rented two movies: Annapolis and ?????.

Saturday evening, I joined YAACK for dinner and bowling. I enjoyed meeting some new people and bowling a couple rounds. My team at least improved the second game with Chris getting 150 or something close to that.

Sunday was another relaxing day. Jeanine and I went to church and then lunch at Ramsey's. That evening I went to Georgetown to hang out with a friend and we watched Something New. If you have not watched this movie, I strongly suggest doing so. It is a very good movie about a young black woman who works too much and then falls in love with a white man. After that, I headed to Louisville to stay with another Georgetown friend.

Monday included lunch with my SHPS lunch partners at our usual Mexican Restaurant, El Caperol. Then I had a meeting at Bellarmine University with the Director of Student Activities to talk about a potential internship there for the summer. The conversation went very well and I liked the possibilities.

After my meeting, I had several hours before my dinner date. So I headed to the public library in J-town, where the librarian was kind enough to let me on the computer for an hour. I checked my email quickly but the main goal was to fill out as many brackets as I possibly could. I was unsure if I would be at a computer again prior to the tournament starting. I succeeded in completing: 5 ESPN, 1 Yahoo, 1 WPSD, 1 WKYT, 1 CBS plus 1 Round by Round at CBS. I believe those are all of them. Needless to say, I could not tell you who I picked, but at least brackets were completed.

Then the most random event occurred, I still had 3 hrs before dinner and could find no friends in town that were free. So remember the jacket that was left in the car, it was in Shelbyville and luckily my friend works from home and was there. So I took off for a nice drive to Shelbyville to get my jacket. Thankfully, it was a beautiful spring day and wonderful weather for a drive.

Monday evening, I had dinner at my cousin's sister-in-laws house and finally met her husband. We actually went out for dinner at Bristol, which too was very good. I even got to talk a little database and technology, which was fun. And smidgen of me missed it, but the rest remembers what else is involved.

Tuesday was another meeting at Bellarmine University. This time with the VP of Student Affairs talking about internship possibilities with him. Again, I left very excited about the possibilities and unsure of what I wanted to do. Plans are being finalized now for me to work part-time this summer at Bellarmine.

After the meeting, it was off to my favorite Japanese restaurant Ichiban to meet a couple other individuals from SHPS for lunch. We had a wonderful conversation catching up. Then I was again free with nothing to do until about 6 pm. First, I headed over to Sam's Club to fill up the tank again. Amazing how many miles I had put on the car in such few days. I also went in and did a bit of shopping before heading to a park in J-town to read.

Yes, I actually read for several hours and caught up on some schoolwork in the process. It was a beautiful day and it was fun reading and watching the children play.

Tuesday evening, my friend and I enjoyed a relaxing evening at her place. Where she fixed a nice taco soup full of ingredients that I do not like, but truthfully it was quite good and filling. So filling that I think I proceeded to take a nap on the couch after dinner.

Wednesday, we hung out all day at her place, worked on the crossword puzzle, watched a movie, chatted, and thought about going for a walk until we realized it was about to pour.

Wednesday evening, I headed back to Lexington for YAACK's reorganization meeting which went quite well. It was great to see so many new faces there. I left there and headed to Sawyer's for CKRSCCA member mtg. There were few there and they didnt stay long. Afterwards, I went and stayed with another church friend. We stayed up way too late talking and catching up. She was telling me all about wedding plans. We updated the YAACK blog and so much more. It was also nice to pray the Rosary with her and her fiancee.

Thursday - I stopped by the ODK office briefly to say hello and pass on some information. Then I went into Georgetown, where I headed to the Library to check my email and work some more on my brackets before the tournament started. Again, you had to sign in to use the computers and my library card was outdated and since I dont live in town anymore I couldnt get a new card without paying. Thankfully the man at the desk signed me in as a visitor and let me enjoy about 2 hrs on the computer. I checked all my brackets, found out I could complete 5 brackets at Yahoo so proceeded to do so. I also received word about a SHPS pool on Yahoo and had to make sure I liked my bracket for the one and only pool that I would be apart of this year. It was ok but I had no clue what I didn't like about it.

After that I headed to campus to meet up with an administrator for lunch. After lunch, I decided it was time to head back to Bloomington to get ready for the upcoming months. I arrived in Bloomington just in time to watch some more basketball.

The rest of the weekend was rather personally productive though not necessarily school productive. Taxes are almost complete and the refund is very exciting since I earned about 2/3 of what I was being taxed at. I also did laundry, cleaned, and went to the grocery. Who knows what else I did over the rest of the break except listen to a lot of basketball and watch the end of several games.

That is the very, very long version of Spring Break.

No comments: