Tuesday, July 22, 2008

External Hard Drive

Okay, I have one week plus a couple days before I have to move out of my apartment and I really need to back up my computer before I start hauling it around to who knows where. My question for you is what would you suggest in terms of purchasing a hard drive: brand, space for money, where you usually find the best deal, anything else that may be important in this decision. Unfortunately, purchasing something off the internet is probably not going to work since I have only a week, but suggest away.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

2 comments:

Chris said...

If you can't shop online, I don't think it really matters where you go. Best Buy will probably have the best selection.

My question, though, is why you need an external hard drive. Do you have a lot of music, pics and such that requires a ton of space to back up, and thus another hard drive? Instead, I'd recommend backing all your personal files (not the operating system and other system files) onto DVD. I'd take it farther than just a one time back up, too, and develop a system of backing up to DVD (or CD) on a monthly basis, you know, just in case. ;-) Most people don't have that many files to warrant the cost of another hard drive.

However, if you don't have a DVD burner, it may be beneficial to invest in another *internal* hard drive, then setup automatic backups to that hard drive. You should be able to do this with an external hard drive too, but they cost more and why would you want a hard drive just hanging off your computer. :-)

Just my two cents...

BeNotAfraid said...

I have nearly 11 gbs of pics and almost 6.5 of that is from Ghana, which is why they haven't been posted or even seen by myself. I also have a large quantity of music as well though I very rarely listen to it.

No DVD burner that would require another thought process of purchasing.

External vs Internal...well the other day I saw an external hard drive that had backup software and so I never really thought about just getting another internal drive.

I think I also like the idea of being able to detach and take it somewhere else or place it in a secure location.