Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Packing Time

It is inevitable. The time has come to start packing up and preparing for the next stage of life, which is still to be determined. The one thing I do know is that in 3 weeks, I will be departing this humble abode for somewhere new though maybe temporary. (If you have a spare room for a friend and a bit of her junk, please let me know. I enjoy to cook, care for children, and …)

The question is where to start on the packing and how do I keep myself from procrastinating the packing, as I am doing right now. I have organized the apartment over the past few days so that I at least feel like I am not making a huge mess on top of an already huge mess.

The food pantry is dwindling and those who know me well know that it is usually well stocked. (GAP friends and others…the mushroom stash has been totally depleted, freezer items are not falling out when you open it nor is there anymore pizza, and the chocolate though still existing has also been depleted.)

It is also leading to some creative cooking and fun exploration in the kitchen. Question for the cooks out there: Can you substitute brown sugar for sugar or granulated sugar? What is the difference between using sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, or even powder sugar? While we are on the subject, can you substitute powdered sugar for any of the above? I am going to say this is less likely, but why not ask. I ask such questions because I have just over a tablespoon of sugar left and a full bag of powdered sugar plus a nice supply of brown sugar.

Some people may be scared when I start talking about creative cooking because they have read here before of my very interesting combinations of food, but do not be afraid at least not at the moment.

Friday having no sugar and wanting to make cookies. I searched and searched for a recipe that called for just brown sugar and in which I had all the other ingredients. I came across Outrageous Double Chocolate-White Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the Betty Crocker Cookbook. Okay, so I didn’t quite have all the correct ingredients. I substituted dark chocolate chips for the semisweet chocolate chips, which you melted to make the batter chocolate and also place whole in the cookies. Instead of white baking bars, I used white chocolate chips. Lastly, instead of pecan or walnut halves, I used macadamia nuts. The cookies, now called Amazing Double Dark Chocolate-White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies, turned out great and everyone seems to enjoy them.

The first item has been boxed and is ready to go. (The humidifier received a nice cleaning and put back into its box this weekend.) Enough procrastinating, I shall go cleanup and see about hitting the closet and making a pile for Goodwill.

No comments: