Saturday, July 12, 2008

Messaging Services

Maybe this will stir up some conversation, though then again I believe there are about 4 people who are regularly reading my blog these days. Most of these people read it because of the RSS feeds, while everyone else has given up because I use to never post anything.

Who knows if I have posted on this in the past or not, if so it was ages ago. I know there has been discussion in the past because that is how I got into using Trillian many moons ago. Yes, I still use Trillian. It is a wonderful tool that allows me to log into ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, and AIM. On top of that I can log in with numerous accounts on any of these, if I so had such numerous accounts. I also like that it tells me when I have new mail in these locations as well. It helps me from having to log into all the email accounts or constantly check my outlook mail.

So why do I bring all of this up because I am interested to know how many people actually use any of the previous mentioned systems and how many people have moved over to Gmail or even Facebook. I am not as interested in Facebook because I am really not a big component of email or messaging out of Facebook.

Now Gmail seems more along the same lines as the others and is of more interest to me. One reason is because my friend Pauline only really uses Gmail and as much as we talk or try to make plans, it would be nice to just send her a quick message when she is online instead of playing phone tag or sending a bazillion email messages back and forth. I have a Gmail account but rarely use it. So what are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Harold Combs said...

Google Talk (the client inside GMail) works pretty, and it can interop with AOL, as well.

Haven't used any sort of POP3-based mail client since GMail was launched many moons ago. It's great :D

Chris said...

Honestly, I don't really pay attention to what people use anymore. I use Pidgin (formerly Gaim) which is like Trillian, so everything (including Google Talk and Facebook) funnels through that, much like my dozens of email accounts all funnel into one Gmail account.

Nick said...

Interesting, I didn't know about the Pidgin->Facebook connection.

Nowadays I usually use gchat, or chat in gmail, connected to my aol. and i run skype now, but I mostly just use it for work.

Really that's true for most of my IM-ing - it's either work, or perhaps with my wife, making dinner plans on separate floors of our house. :-)

Kerri said...

I switched to Gmail about 4-5 months ago and really like it now. I especially like that I can access my contacts anywhere, I love the archive feature (though I don't use it as much as I should), the tagging ability, and the "conversations" rather than everything being individual messages. I also like the gmail chat feature, especially the fact that it also logs into AIM for me. Very nice feature. I do have the Microsoft Messenger service at work, but that's the only place I use it. Basically i'm doing everything through gmail. Oh, and Facebook, but I do more chat stuff in Gmail.

BeNotAfraid said...

Millennials oh how I am saddened to hear that plans for dinner are being made over IM. What has our world come to that we can not communicate with one another in person in the same house? Though I will admit that making dinner plans is not as bad as discussing something more serious or having a fight over IM, but still we get lulled into one easy conversation and the next thing other conversations which really should not take place via words on a computer do.

BeNotAfraid said...

So I realized last night that I did not finish my thought process in this post, but Chris hit on it in his comment.

Another thing about Trillian is that they are all in one component that is not attached to the web browser. Currently with Gmail or Facebook, I have to have a web browser open with those specific accounts logged in. Where with Trillian, it sits on the side and I can with one quick glance see everyone that is on and the status of my email without having to click over to a specific website. I also like the fact that when people come on and off I can see or hear that without fully disrupting what I was already doing.

So I may check out this Pidgin program and see what it is all about. I looked at Trillian to see if I could load Gmail but you only can with the purchased version.