Okay, so I was talking to one of my friends, whom I didn't have an email address in my contacts for. She mentioned having 4 email accounts, which reminded me that I have a gmail account. I decided to see if I could still login to my account, which was successful. Then I checked to see when the last time I had tentatively checked my email. Looks like mid May 2005. I am really shocked that I could still login. I added a few additional filters to the system, and managed to clear the inbox down to 2 emails both of which I had read previously.
How many email accounts do you have? Do you check them all? How do we go about managing such accounts?
I know that my first hotmail account is long gone now because of the 30 day login process they had in the past. My yahoo account is still functioning because I log into yahoo, but I never check my emails nor get any. We all see the status of my gmail account, though it is doing a great job of catching all the IT listserv info. Maybe I should use it more for that. Of course since I changed isp services, my bellsouth email address is gone though I saved any emails that I wanted off of there. I have yet to setup an Insight email address. Should you have an email address with your isp? My Georgetown account is history when they switched systems over. I finally lost access to my account there. Now I have two IU accounts which is a bit crazy though I can set the exchange address as the primary and route the information from the other system over to exchange. I can't delete the other systems account which seems random. Those are all that I remember though I am sure there are more.
Saturday, August 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Gosh, Robin, stop posting so much! I can't keep up!
I have well over 10 email accounts, but I regularly check only one, one of my gmail accounts. All other accounts are forwarded to this account. For example, since I have a website with my name in it, I use those for professional purposes, such as job@, resume@, webmaster@, etc. Those all forward to one account for that domain, chris@. For a while, that was my primary email, but I felt that revealed my website in some cases where I didn't want to, so now I'm forwarding that to my gmail account. The multiple levels of forwarding help with the organization and managing of them. I also have my georgetown email account forwarded there (yes, I still get emails from that account), as well as several other third party emails. The only other email I have is hotmail, but I'm phasing that out, so there's no need to check it frequently.
In summary of all that talk is to work smarter, not harder. Keep you multiple email accounts, but have them all forwarded to one account. You'll still be able to see where the email came from, which is handy if you use a certain email for newsletters and such and can filter based on it.
My two cents...
Sorry Chris. Two good topics hit me in the same day so I posted.
I have tried the whole pull into one location option but haven't bothered to add all my email accounts. I have setup Outlook at home to check my hotmail account and it use to check my bellsouth account. Yesterday, I finally got my IU account setup though I have to see how to stop making it pull all my emails out of my IU account. I am hoping its a setting that I can set from the office tomorrow. Otherwise, I may be on a long hunt for a solution.
Thanks for the 2 cents. It gave me some ideas, though we will see if I will follow through.
I think my georgetown account got lost when I went from Student to Staff and then they changed the staff, but maybe I just need to go looking for the old accounts in another area.
Post a Comment